Which Engineering Field is Best for Research and Inventing?

In summary, the conversation revolves around the speaker's dilemma of choosing between mechanical, electronics, and electrical engineering. They express a desire for a job with a focus on research and inventing products, leading them to lean towards electronics. However, they are also considering the potential downsides of each field. Ultimately, the other person suggests that they do not necessarily have to choose and can benefit from having a broad knowledge base.
Natcu
So I have to choose between mechanical, Electronics and Electrical engineering.

I want a job which has a lot of research to do rather than just designing or improving a product, as of now I think electronics is better suited for me, but I am having second thoughts. I am going crazy over this!

I want to invent something and start a company! Electronics seems better for that.

But I am confused!

Physics news on Phys.org
You don't need to choose.
You will most likely have better ideas for commercial products if you can use a broad field of knowledge.

If you go for mechanical engineering at some stage you'll get covered in hot, dirty oil, if you go for electronics you'll strain your eyesight looking at tiny things, take your choice.

Likes CalcNerd

What is the difference between mechanical and electronics engineering?

Mechanical engineering focuses on the design, development, and maintenance of mechanical systems, such as engines, machines, and tools. Electronics engineering, on the other hand, deals with the design and development of electronic devices and systems, such as computers, communication systems, and microchips.

Which field has better job prospects?

Both mechanical and electronics engineering have excellent job prospects. However, the demand for electronics engineers is expected to grow faster due to the increasing use of technology in various industries.

Which field requires more hands-on work?

Mechanical engineering typically involves more hands-on work as it deals with physical systems and machines. Electronics engineering, on the other hand, involves more theoretical work and design using computer software and simulations.

Which field offers more opportunities for innovation?

Both mechanical and electronics engineering offer opportunities for innovation. However, electronics engineering may offer more opportunities for innovation in emerging technologies, such as artificial intelligence and the Internet of Things.

Which field has higher salaries?

The salary for mechanical and electronics engineers can vary depending on factors such as industry, location, and experience. Generally, electronics engineers tend to have higher salaries due to the high demand for their skills in various industries.