Which field of study has the highest professor employment?

In summary, the conversation discusses the likelihood of becoming a professor in the STEM fields of mathematics, physics, and computer science. It is generally agreed upon that computer science has the best chances due to high demand for new hires and less competition from other fields. However, it is also important to choose a field that one is passionate about in order to successfully complete a PhD and pursue a career as a professor.
member 624364
Hi, I was wondering what stem field has the greatest likely hood to employ one as a professor at a university.

I am deciding between mathematics, physics and computer science. My father is a professor in computer science but I am not entirely sure which field I want to become a professor in(or at least attempt to become one).

I used to be dead set on following in the footsteps as my father but in more recent years I have found physics and maths to be very alluring too.

So which of the 3 has the best chances of becoming a professor and a tenure professor?

Physics news on Phys.org
It is much, much easier to become a computer science professor than a mathematics or physics professors. First, there is there more demand for new hires (since the comp sci departments are, in general, growing while math and physics departments are, in general static or growing more slowly).

Second, because new CS PhDs have very high-paying alternatives, you will have less competition for a given opening compared to physics or math.

In math and physics, a professorship is pretty much the brass ring that many if not most grad students are going after (even if the vast majority don't achieve it). Based on my conversations with students I think only a small minority of CS students want a professorship since they could make much, much more money (and arguably more interesting work) in industry.

Therefore, if my main career goal were to become a professor, I would choose CS first. After CS, Engineering fields are easier to get professor jobs for the same reason: the strongest engineering PhD graduates have much more lucrative opportunities so many of them don't even consider academia.

All that said, it still isn't easy to become a CS professor as each opening has many strong applicants. But, it is easier than math or physics.

Good luck!

Likes russ_watters
I agree with analogdesign, although "much, much easier" still means "difficult!"

Many universities have seen dramatic growth in students desiring to major in computer science over the past handful of years, and universities are trying to figure out how to deal with the situation. No one can predict the future, and there have been boom-bust cycles in cs enrollment in the past, but if the trend continues we will need many more cs professors in the future than we ever had in the past.

In any case, I recommend studying what you enjoy, especially if you want to be a professor. It would be difficult to come up with good research ideas year after year if you don't love the subject.

Jason

Likes member 624364
Most institutions have more math faculty simply because they teach more math courses.

Likes russ_watters
jasonRF said:
I agree with analogdesign, although "much, much easier" still means "difficult!"

Many universities have seen dramatic growth in students desiring to major in computer science over the past handful of years, and universities are trying to figure out how to deal with the situation. No one can predict the future, and there have been boom-bust cycles in cs enrollment in the past, but if the trend continues we will need many more cs professors in the future than we ever had in the past.

In any case, I recommend studying what you enjoy, especially if you want to be a professor. It would be difficult to come up with good research ideas year after year if you don't love the subject.

Jason

I would also agree with @analogdesign , but with the caveat that I suspect that the hiring of CS faculty tends to be focused on current "hot" research fields within CS (e.g. machine learning, visualization, database design, scientific computing). I would imagine that growth in faculty openings in other fields within CS (I'm speaking specifically of, say, theoretical CS) is probably similar to math and physics departments, with static or slow growth.

You are not only putting the cart before the horse, but you haven't even bought the horse yet (or decided what breed of horse to buy in the first place). If you want any kind of professorship in the future regardless of the statistics surrounding such a job, you need to find a field about which you feel passionate. You aren't going to successfully complete a PhD, let alone land a professorship, without having a pretty strong passion for a particular field and research area.

Likes jim mcnamara
graduate school is very stressful and challenging, and so one needs a lot of inner reward from pursuing the degree one chooses in order to persist to the finish. so i recommend choosing the at5ea that interests you most, and that you most enjoy spending time on.

1. What are the top fields of study with the highest professor employment?

The top fields of study with the highest professor employment include business, engineering, social sciences, and biological and biomedical sciences.

2. How does the demand for professors vary among different fields of study?

The demand for professors varies among different fields of study based on factors such as industry growth, government funding, and student enrollment rates.

3. Are there any specific regions or countries that have a higher demand for professors in certain fields of study?

Yes, some regions or countries may have a higher demand for professors in certain fields of study due to economic or cultural factors. For example, countries with a strong emphasis on technology and innovation may have a higher demand for engineering professors.

4. How does the job market for professors in different fields of study compare to other industries?

The job market for professors in different fields of study can vary greatly, but overall, it tends to be more competitive compared to other industries due to the high level of education and experience required for these positions.

5. Are there any predictions for the future demand for professors in different fields of study?

It is difficult to make precise predictions for the future demand of professors in different fields of study, as it can be influenced by a variety of factors. However, with the increasing enrollment in higher education and advancements in certain industries, there may be a higher demand for professors in fields such as health sciences and technology in the coming years.