Which one is more work-hardened than the other?

• Thread starter StudentForming
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the question of which cold drawing process results in more work hardening. The final diameter is the same, but the number of cold drawing steps is different. The participants suggest that the more complex strain path in a cold drawing process may lead to more work hardening, but they cannot provide a definitive answer without further research.
StudentForming
TL;DR Summary
The effect on number of cold drawing to work-hardening.
Hi.

I wonder which one is more work-hardened in cold drawing process.

① φ7 -> φ6.5
② φ7 -> φ6.8 -> φ6.5

Final diameter is same, but the number of cold drawing is different.
In my guess, ② is more work-hardened even thought I can't explain the reason exactly.

If you know the answer and the mechanism, I hope you tell me about that.

Engineering news on Phys.org
When a strain hardening material is loaded beyond yield, the stress reduced to zero, then again loaded beyond yield, the result is as shown below. The first loading takes it to Point A, then unloading takes to Point B. The material has yielded. On further loading, the material follows the dashed line back to Point A, after which it yields some more.
Plastic Strain.jpg

That is for simple tensile loading. A cold drawing process involves a more complex stress-strain path that complicates matters. Answering your question requires finding the exact strain path as the part goes through the cold drawing process. The image below shows a part that was cold drawn in two halves. Each half had lines scribed before drawing. After drawing, the two halves were separated. The lines are no longer straight. I believe this means that the actual strain path is more complex than that of a simple tensile test, which would imply (but does not prove) that drawing in two stages might cause more work hardening than drawing in one stage.
Cold Draw.jpg

I cannot explain it exactly either, but I think you are right. Proving it would require studying the strain path through the cold drawing process.

Likes Jodo

1. What is work-hardening?

Work-hardening, also known as strain hardening, is a process in which a metal or alloy becomes stronger and more durable through plastic deformation. This occurs when the material is subjected to repeated stress or strain, causing dislocations in the crystal structure to increase and making it more difficult for the material to deform further.

2. How do you determine which material is more work-hardened?

The level of work-hardening in a material is typically measured by its yield strength, which is the amount of stress required to permanently deform the material. The higher the yield strength, the more work-hardened the material is.

3. Can two materials have the same yield strength but different levels of work-hardening?

Yes, it is possible for two materials to have the same yield strength but different levels of work-hardening. This can occur if the materials have different crystal structures or if one material has been subjected to more stress or strain than the other.

4. What factors can affect the level of work-hardening in a material?

The level of work-hardening in a material can be affected by various factors, including the type of material, its initial microstructure, the amount of stress or strain applied, and the temperature at which the deformation occurs. Additionally, the presence of impurities or defects in the material can also impact its work-hardening behavior.

5. How does work-hardening affect the properties of a material?

Work-hardening can significantly improve the strength and hardness of a material, making it more resistant to deformations and wear. However, it can also make the material more brittle and less ductile, meaning it is more prone to fracturing under stress. The level of work-hardening must be carefully controlled in industrial processes to ensure the material maintains the desired properties.