Which side of a transformer secondary to be ground referenced?

In summary, in order to properly ground a floating AC system, it is necessary to ground the X2 terminal of the control transformer. This is because the X1 terminal may have a fuse that could potentially disconnect the ground if it were grounded instead. Additionally, according to the manufacturer's instructions, X2 should be connected to the neutral side of the control circuit for safety purposes.
musicgold
Homework Statement
Not a homework question. I wish to know how do I decide which side of the secondary of an isolation transformer can be grounded.
Relevant Equations
At the 6.20 mark in the video below, the instructor says that if a system needs grounded pilot voltage, it is common to ground the X2 terminal of the secondary.
The video is located here. My question, if the secondary side is isolated and the control circuit has no connection to the primary side, why do I have to ground X2 only? This a floating AC system, so why does it matter which side is used as the reference? What will happen if I grounded the X1 terminal?
1645417483830.png

Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry, I didn't watch the video, but from your schematic, there's no way to decide which side should be grounded. It is an arbitrary choice at this level of detail.

Ground the X2 side, because X1 has a fuse.
You do not want a blown fuse to disconnect the ground.

Likes hutchphd, Tom.G, berkeman and 1 other person

(https://abbott-tech.com/ is a major supplier of both Military and Industrial, harsh environment, power supplies)

Step 6- Terminate the low-voltage side of the transformer following the manufacturer’s instructions and schematics for different types of transformers. For small control transformers, there will be X1 and X2 terminals only where X1 is the power side and X2 the grounding and a side of the low voltage.

Cheers,
Tom

And step 7 answers the OP's question.
Step 7- Terminate the control transformer for X1 and X2 where X1 goes straight to control circuit after it passes through a fuse usually rated for the circuit. X2 is terminated to the neutral side of the control circuit and is also used for grounding safety. Therefore, X2 terminal of the small control transformer must be wound together to a grounding structure of the circuit.

1. What is the purpose of grounding the secondary side of a transformer?

Grounding the secondary side of a transformer helps to provide a reference point for the electrical circuit and protect against electrical shocks. It also helps to stabilize the voltage and prevent damage to electrical equipment.

2. Is it necessary to ground the secondary side of a transformer?

Yes, it is necessary to ground the secondary side of a transformer for safety and proper functioning of the electrical system. Failure to ground the secondary side can result in electrical hazards and damage to equipment.

3. Can the primary side of a transformer be ground referenced instead of the secondary side?

No, the primary side of a transformer should not be ground referenced. This can create a potential difference between the primary and secondary sides, leading to electrical hazards and damage to equipment.

4. How is the secondary side of a transformer typically grounded?

The secondary side of a transformer is typically grounded by connecting a wire from the secondary winding to a ground rod or metal water pipe. This provides a direct path for any electrical faults to be safely discharged to the ground.

5. What precautions should be taken when grounding the secondary side of a transformer?

When grounding the secondary side of a transformer, it is important to ensure that the ground connection is secure and that the grounding wire is of the appropriate size and material. It is also important to regularly check the ground connection for any signs of damage or corrosion.