Which textbooks can help me achieve my goal of mastering all forms of physics?

In summary, the individual is a self-taught learner who wants to virtually understand every physics principle and become extremely proficient in all forms of physics. They plan on achieving this goal by reading physics books over the course of 30 years and would like a full list of textbooks or topics to read. However, it is noted that this goal may be near impossible and extremely difficult to achieve in one lifetime. Suggestions are made to start with grasping the basics of classical physics and then focusing on a specific field. Additionally, it is mentioned that there are 100 different physics classes offered at MIT, but this does not cover everything and a complete understanding of physics is impossible. The individual is encouraged to focus on learning rather than the end result and to
Puglife
Hey Physics Forums! I am a self taught individual, who would like to learn more about physics. My goal in life is to virtually understand every physics principal we know, and become extremely good at all forms of physics. I will be reading physics books over the next 30 years, so that i can achieve this, and was wondering, if one of you could send me a full list of books i need to read in order to achieve my goal. I know that my goal is near impossible, and extremely difficult, but I will be doing it over years time.

I would prefer it to be a series of textbooks, like volumes, and just have 20 volumes, but it could be different books if necessary.

Thank you guys so much!

Physics news on Phys.org
Puglife said:
My goal in life is to virtually understand every physics principal we know, and become extremely good at all forms of physics.

How many different lives do you plan on having?

Likes QuantumQuest
micromass said:
Agreed, you have 80 year old physicists that still have only scratched the surfaces of some areas in physics.

My goal in life is to virtually understand every physics principal we know, and become extremely good at all forms of physics

It is very good to have such strong determination but as micromass says, it would take several lifetimes to do so. Maybe its better to grasp the basics of classical physics and then focus on some specific field.

micromass said:
how many books would it be? I was just expecting it to be something like 100 textbooks or something, I could defiantly do that at my current rate. I have also recently been laid off from work, so I have a lot of time on my hands. does such a complete guide even exist because of the shear amount?

Greg Bernhardt said:
Agreed, you have 80 year old physicists that still have only scratched the surfaces of some areas in physics.
How much is their? I realize its alot, but is their anyway you could give me an approximation of the number of textbooks, or topics, or classes?

Puglife said:
I could defiantly do that at my current rate
Be realistic, you're not going to be cruising through advanced textbooks like some Steven King novel.

Likes wormbread
QuantumQuest said:
It is very good to have such strong determination but as micromass says, it would take several lifetimes to do so. Maybe its better to grasp the basics of classical physics and then focus on some specific field.
MIT offers 100 different physics classes at the college. If somone was able to take 5 a year, then they would be able to learn physics in 20 years, right? Does MIT not cover everything?

Greg Bernhardt said:
Be realistic, you're not going to be cruising through advanced textbooks like some Steven King novel.
Thats true, but over the course of 50 years, I am sure that i can read at least 2 a year, bringing me to 100 different courses

Puglife said:
Thats true, but over the course of 50 years, I am sure that i can read at least 2 a year, bringing me to 100 different courses
What is driving this goal? Is it the learning or the end result that is important? If it's the end result, you'll never make it. If it's learning, then just start today and see how far you get and don't worry about the goal.

Likes QuantumQuest
Greg Bernhardt said:
What is driving this goal? Is it the learning or the end result that is important? If it's the end result, you'll never make it. If it's learning, then just start today and see how far you get and don't worry about the goal.
that is why i was asking for an ordered series, so that i can simply get as far as possibly can

Puglife said:
that is why i was asking for an ordered series, so that i can simply get as far as possibly can
There isn't a list for learning every principle in physics because it's not realistic. Start with going through classical mechanics physics books. When done with those ask for what is next.

Greg Bernhardt said:
There isn't a list for learning every principle in physics because it's not realistic. Start with going through classical mechanics physics books. When done with those ask for what is next.
ok

Puglife said:
MIT offers 100 different physics classes at the college. If somone was able to take 5 a year, then they would be able to learn physics in 20 years, right? Does MIT not cover everything?

No, MIT does not cover everything. It is very naive to think that college courses would allow you to be good at "all forms of physics". The college courses at MIT provide a basis. On this basis one chooses a more narrow subfield and one learns much more within that subfield. But whatever one learns more, that is typically not covered in college courses. That is something that the scientist usually self-studies.

So don't think that because somebody knows all MIT courses, that he is then done with studying.

Now, if your goal is to understand all of the MIT college courses, then go ahead. We can provide you books or series to accomplish that. But don't mistake this for a complete knowledge of physics. A complete knowledge of physics is impossible nowadays.

Likes QuantumQuest
micromass said:
No, MIT does not cover everything. It is very naive to think that college courses would allow you to be good at "all forms of physics". The college courses at MIT provide a basis. On this basis one chooses a more narrow subfield and one learns much more within that subfield. But whatever one learns more, that is typically not covered in college courses. That is something that the scientist usually self-studies.

So don't think that because somebody knows all MIT courses, that he is then done with studying.

Now, if your goal is to understand all of the MIT college courses, then go ahead. We can provide you books or series to accomplish that. But don't mistake this for a complete knowledge of physics. A complete knowledge of physics is impossible nowadays.
so does no one on this Earth now all of physics? that's actually really cool! I assumed that the MIT lectures in physics where pretty much all of physics (one could argue that like electrical engineering is physics, and so is pretty much everything). So if I where to do all the MIT courses on physics, the only math I would need is calc 1,2, and 3, as well as linear algebra, and differential equations?

Puglife said:
so does no one on this Earth now all of physics? that's actually really cool! I assumed that the MIT lectures in physics where pretty much all of physics
There are hundreds of very specialized fields where scientists can spend their entire lives researching just that field.

Puglife said:

I think what micromass said about this

micromass said:

pretty much covers everything. Also, I cannot really follow your line of thinking. Even if you take all these courses that are indeed very good, do you think that attending each course, would guarantee that you learn everything about the subject? You have to study yourself a really lot and then you'll have a good grasp of the fundamentals and you'll need years as everyone else, to master the subject. And this holds for each and every field of physics. So, that's why we are all proposing you to have more realistic goals. And this is true and for your own good and not just because somebody says so.

Last edited:
Puglife said:
Hey Physics Forums! I am a self taught individual, who would like to learn more about physics. My goal in life is to virtually understand every physics principal we know, and become extremely good at all forms of physics. I will be reading physics books over the next 30 years, so that i can achieve this, and was wondering, if one of you could send me a full list of books i need to read in order to achieve my goal. I know that my goal is near impossible, and extremely difficult, but I will be doing it over years time.

I would prefer it to be a series of textbooks, like volumes, and just have 20 volumes, but it could be different books if necessary.

Thank you guys so much!
Landau & Lifshitz series and Greiner et al series are very big, very good, and very close to your ambitious goal.

1. What is the purpose of the full physics tutorial series?

The purpose of the full physics tutorial series is to provide a comprehensive and in-depth explanation of the fundamental principles and concepts of physics. It aims to help individuals understand and apply these concepts in various real-world scenarios.

2. Who is the target audience for the full physics tutorial series?

The target audience for the full physics tutorial series is anyone who is interested in learning about physics, regardless of their prior knowledge or background. It can be helpful for students studying physics in school or for individuals who are curious about the subject.

3. How is the full physics tutorial series structured?

The full physics tutorial series is divided into different modules, each focusing on a specific topic or concept in physics. Each module contains lessons, examples, and practice problems to help reinforce the material. The series also includes hands-on experiments and demonstrations to further enhance understanding.

4. Are there any prerequisites for the full physics tutorial series?

No, there are no prerequisites for the full physics tutorial series. However, it is recommended to have a basic understanding of mathematics, particularly algebra and geometry, as they are used extensively in physics.

5. How can the full physics tutorial series be accessed?

The full physics tutorial series can be accessed online through various platforms such as websites, educational portals, and video hosting sites. It can also be purchased as a physical or digital product from educational publishers. Additionally, some schools and universities offer the series as part of their curriculum.