Which University Should I Ultimately Choose? [Canada]

In summary, the speaker, a 17-year-old Grade 12 student from Ontario, is interested in astrophysics and has applied to different universities for this program. They are considering Queen's, UBC, UVic, UWO, U of T, and York for Astrophysics (Honours) or Double Honours in Physics and Astronomy. They are leaning towards UWO, Queen's, and UVic due to their academic and social aspects. However, they are unsure of which school is better and would like to hear different opinions. The speaker also values the opportunity to work closely with faculty at smaller universities for research and teaching assistant positions. However, they acknowledge that choosing a field of study can be difficult and that reference letters
Kindayr
Hello everyone :)

I'm a 17 year old Grade 12 student in Ontario interested in physics, more specifically astrophysics.

I've just finished applying to university, and don't have to make the final decision until May of this year.

My choices are Queen's, UBC, UVic and UWO for Astrophysics (Honours)
And U of T and York for Double Honours in Physics and Astronomy

I'm aiming mostly to UWO, Queen's, and UVic, as on top of academic stimulation, I also would like a more socially involved school.

I guess I would just like to hear some different opinions on which school has better or worse traits :)

Thank you all

Physics news on Phys.org
The Queen's undergrad experience is really good and enclusive with lots of rich traditions, I have also heard good things about UWO, but know very little about UVic,
ha, probably not that helpful, but I will post anyways

I think you don't have to worry so much for undergrad.

It's hard to even decide what to do at the high school level. So many students by 3rd year realize what they thought was biology, physics, accounting or whatever, is actually COMPLETELY different... for better or worse.

I'm personally a fan of going to smaller universities so you can get in touch with faculty, and get opportunities like becoming a teaching assistant, and/or research assistant. You learn a lot in these positions, and you will hopefully get a nice personal individual reference letter when you apply to graduate school. That's what matters most.

I guarantee that if you go to a school like UWO or UofT, that the reference letters for you to go to graduate school are already saved on the computer. They use the same one for just about everyone. Change the date, name, and note the students scores in the courses, and done.

Related to Which University Should I Ultimately Choose? [Canada]

1. How do I determine which university is the best fit for me?

Choosing a university is a personal decision and what may be the best fit for one person may not be the best fit for another. It's important to consider factors such as location, program offerings, campus culture, and academic reputation when making your decision. It can also be helpful to visit the campuses and speak with current students to get a better sense of the university's atmosphere.

2. What are the top universities in Canada?

The top universities in Canada are typically considered to be the University of Toronto, University of British Columbia, and McGill University. However, rankings can vary and it's important to research and consider multiple universities to find the best fit for you.

3. How important is the university's location?

The location of a university can play a significant role in your overall university experience. Consider factors such as the city's size, cost of living, and proximity to family and friends. It's important to choose a location that will support your academic and personal growth.

4. What should I consider when looking at a university's program offerings?

When looking at a university's program offerings, it's important to consider your academic and career goals. Look into the specific courses and opportunities within your desired program, as well as the faculty and research opportunities available. It can also be helpful to speak with current students or alumni to get a better sense of the program's strengths and weaknesses.

5. How can I find out more about a university's campus culture?

To learn more about a university's campus culture, consider visiting the campus and attending events or tours. You can also research student organizations and clubs, as well as the university's values and mission statement. Speaking with current students or alumni can also provide insight into the campus culture.