Which virtual cells look the same as the basic cell?

In summary, the conversation is about a basic cell with an object inside, viewed from the top with virtual cells filling the space around it. The question is about identifying which virtual cells look the same as the basic cell and if there is a mathematical pattern to explain this. The conversation also discusses drawing reflections in each cell and the potential for an infinite number of reflections. However, it is suggested to only consider one reflection in each mirror.
PintoCorreia

Homework Statement

fJD1nAu.png

Above is the basic cell drawn with an object inside of it. You look in top view of the basic cell and the space around it filled with virtual cells.

You can see the top view of a basic cell (the square [that is marked blue] formed by the four real mirrors with a height of 10 cm, with the original physical object with a height of 5 cm inside ) and all the copies (mirror images and mirror images of mirror images) around it, which fill a plane.
Question 1: Which virtual cells look the same as the basic cell? Do You see a regularity/pattern?
Explain this mathematically.

Homework Equations

mirror reflections

The Attempt at a Solution

1. I don't understand that whether there is a name for those kind of patterns or not. And How many reflections I should draw. I guess it could be an infinite amount... So anyone a clue?

Physics news on Phys.org
Pretend each mirror in turn is the only mirror that exists. eg Just draw one reflection in each cell and see what you get.

well, how to image that it gets reflected like 4,5,6 times?

I don't think the problem expects you to consider an infinite number of reflections. Just one in each mirror.

This is what I would expect. I've only shown two virtual cells...

Attachments

• Mirrors.jpg
    Mirrors.jpg
    4.5 KB · Views: 371
PS: The multiple reflections (4,5,6 etc) would be located outside the virtual cells.

1. What is a virtual cell?

A virtual cell is a computer-generated representation of a real cell. It is created using mathematical models and simulations to mimic the behavior and structure of a biological cell.

2. How do scientists determine which virtual cells look similar to basic cells?

Scientists use various techniques such as microscopy, imaging, and data analysis to compare the visual features and functions of virtual cells to basic cells. They also consider the accuracy and reliability of the mathematical models used to create the virtual cell.

3. What are the limitations of using virtual cells to study basic cells?

Virtual cells are simplified versions of real cells and may not fully capture all the complexities and nuances of a basic cell. They also rely on assumptions and simplifications, which may not accurately reflect the behavior of a real cell.

4. Can virtual cells be used for medical research and drug development?

Yes, virtual cells are valuable tools for medical research and drug development as they allow for rapid testing and analysis of different scenarios without the need for physical experiments. However, their use should be combined with other methods for more accurate results.

5. How can virtual cells contribute to our understanding of basic cells?

Virtual cells can provide insights into the complex processes and interactions within a basic cell that may not be possible to observe directly. They also allow for the testing of different hypotheses and predictions, leading to a better understanding of basic cell functions.