Who was the enigmatic female writer of the 19th century?

• Thread starter Soaring Crane
  • Start date
  • Tags
    writer
In summary, the conversation discussed the question of who the woman writer of the 19th century was who could be considered the first real feminist. Suggestions were made, including Louisa May Alcott, George Eliot, and George Sand, with the latter being the most likely answer based on her cross-dressing and affairs with well-known men. The conversation also mentioned the film "Impromptu" as a humorous take on Sand's life.
Soaring Crane
Does anyone have a clue on . . .

Who is the woman writer of the 19th century who can be considered as the first real feminist, dressed as a man, and had several affairs with well-known men?

Thanks for any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Michael Jackson?

You're joking, right?

Soaring Crane said:
You're joking, right?
tribdog never makes jokes.

My first guess would be Louisa May Alcott.

This guess is entirely based on Little Women, which is supposed to be autobiographical, and where Jo (who represents the author) is something of a tomboy.

Last edited:
Try George Elliot (Mary Ann Evans)

I would have guessed George Sand. (she dated Chopin and she cross-dressed)

Susan B. Anthony? I don't have a clue: I just searched 19th century first real feminist and that was one of the people I found something on.

I would have to agree with Math is Hard. I think it is George Sand.

Evo said:
tribdog never makes jokes.
Thank you.
Just because I give wrong answers doesn't mean I like to be laughed at. I try so hard to be respected.

Math Is Hard said:
I would have guessed George Sand. (she dated Chopin and she cross-dressed)

You are correct. There is a very enjoyable and funny biographical film about this, in fact, called "Impromptu." It is one of those movies that takes most of itself to build to a big joke. Judy Davis is great as Sand, and Hugh Grant plays Chopin.

I wasn't laughing, tribdog. I was just, er, confused.

What is the significance of asking "Who's this woman writer?"

Asking "who's this woman writer?" may indicate a lack of knowledge or understanding about the importance of women in literature. It may also suggest a bias towards male writers and a disregard for the contributions of female writers.

Can you provide some examples of famous women writers?

Some famous women writers include Jane Austen, Virginia Woolf, Toni Morrison, J.K. Rowling, and Maya Angelou. These women have made significant contributions to literature and have had a lasting impact on the literary world.

What challenges do women writers face in the literary world?

Women writers often face challenges such as gender discrimination, unequal opportunities, and underrepresentation in the publishing industry. They may also face criticism and stereotypes based on their gender, rather than the quality of their writing.

How have women writers influenced literature?

Women writers have had a profound influence on literature, shaping and challenging societal norms and perceptions through their writing. They have also introduced unique perspectives and themes, expanding the scope and diversity of literature.

Why is it important to recognize and celebrate women writers?

Recognizing and celebrating women writers is crucial for promoting gender equality and acknowledging the valuable contributions of women in literature. It also helps to diversify the literary canon and inspire future generations of female writers.