Why are fractions sometimes written as such: (A/B)/C?

• I
  • Thread starter ItsTheSebbe
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Fractions
In summary, the conversation discusses the notation used in physics courses for describing rates of quantities. The notation of $$\frac{A/B}{C}$$ is used to emphasize the change of a special ratio, while the notation ##\frac{A}{BC}## may disguise this difference. The conversation questions if there is a specific reason for using the first notation over the latter.
ItsTheSebbe
In my physics courses I have seen this kind of notation several times now: $$ \frac {A/B} {C}$$

For instance:

5f9aa827e4.png

or
fe8a50809f.png

To me it doesn't seem intuitive and ## \frac A {BC}## would seem like a neater way of writing it. Therefore I wonder if there's any specific reason to why people write it like this.

Physics news on Phys.org
Your examples have one thing in common: they describe a rate of a quantity. The quantities are normed, i.e. they are something per unit of something. The notation ##\frac{A/B}{C}## emphasizes what it is about, namely the change of a special ratio, whereas ##\frac{A}{BC}## disguises this physically important difference even if not wrong.

1. What is the meaning of fractions written as (A/B)/C?

Fractions written in this form are known as complex fractions. The numerator (A/B) represents a fraction that is being divided by the denominator (C). This can also be written as (A/B) ÷ C.

2. Why are fractions written in this form?

This form is used when we need to divide one fraction by another fraction. It is a convenient way to represent complex division problems and makes them easier to solve.

3. Can fractions written as (A/B)/C be simplified?

Yes, complex fractions can be simplified just like regular fractions. To simplify, we can convert the complex fraction into a single fraction by multiplying the numerator and denominator by the common denominator of the two fractions in the numerator.

4. When should I use fractions written as (A/B)/C?

Complex fractions are commonly used in algebra and higher level math to represent division problems. They are also used in science and engineering to represent ratios and proportions.

5. Are there any other ways to write fractions as (A/B)/C?

Yes, complex fractions can also be written using a horizontal fraction bar, such as (A/B) / C. However, the form (A/B)/C is more commonly used and is easier to read for complex division problems.