Why Are Two-Force Members Crucial in Statics Problems?

In summary, the conversation discusses the significance of drawing a free body diagram and understanding the types of attachments in determining the unknown reactions in a mechanics problem. The hint provided emphasizes the use of two-force members and rollers in determining these reactions. The conversation also mentions the misunderstanding of concepts and the need for further clarification.
scottalot

Homework Statement

Untitled_zpsbaf26594.png

Homework Equations

None given

The Attempt at a Solution

What I tried to do was figure out the force equations and moment equations, but maybe assuming that there is no moment nor net force is incorrect... I know I'm missing something here.

I did an equation equating the positive y-axis forces (from the roller's normal force and the tension on ED) to the force pulling down on G (201 lb), another equating the tensions of DE and BC with A's normal (now that I type that out, I'm thinking maybe BC is a compression?), and another equating the net moment to zero by taking the vertical forces of A's normal and DE's tension and multiplying them by 40in. and 15in. respectively.

I really think I'm missing something because the hint provided mentions this:
"Before taking any other action, draw an FBD of the steel plate, cutting through supports DE and BC as well as underneath the roller support at A. Member E and hydraulic cylinder BC are examples of "Two-force members' , supports whose reaction forces are aligned with their geometry (along pins DE and BC. The roller support prevents any motion normal to the incline."

I'm not understanding the significance of any of that.

I can provide my equations if requested, but I think my issue is more a misunderstanding of the concepts rather than incorrect work.

EDIT: I apologize if this shouldn't be in advanced... I saw a couple titles and thought it'd fit, but now I'm seeing some crazy advanced ones.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
scottalot said:

Homework Statement

Untitled_zpsbaf26594.png

Homework Equations

None given

The Attempt at a Solution

I really think I'm missing something because the hint provided mentions this:
"Before taking any other action, draw an FBD of the steel plate, cutting through supports DE and BC as well as underneath the roller support at A. Member E and hydraulic cylinder BC are examples of "Two-force members' , supports whose reaction forces are aligned with their geometry (along pins DE and BC. The roller support prevents any motion normal to the incline."

I'm not understanding the significance of any of that.

The roller at A can only develop a force which is normal to the surface on which it rests.

The linkages at BC and DE can support forces which are applied axially along their lengths or perpendicular to their lengths. The pin connections at either end of each link, however, mean that the links can rotate if a moment is applied to them.

The type of attachment, with either two-force members or rollers, helps to determine what sort of unknown reactions for which you are trying to solve.

Related to Why Are Two-Force Members Crucial in Statics Problems?

1. What is a two-force member?

A two-force member is a structural element or component that is subjected to only two external forces, which are equal in magnitude and opposite in direction. These forces act along the same line of action and do not produce a moment or torque on the member.

2. Why is the concept of two-force members significant in engineering?

The concept of two-force members is significant in engineering because it simplifies the analysis of complex structures. It allows engineers to reduce the number of unknowns in a structural system, making it easier to determine the internal forces and stresses within the members.

3. How do I identify a two-force member in a structural system?

A two-force member can be identified by examining the external forces acting on the member. If there are only two forces acting, and they are equal in magnitude and opposite in direction, then the member is a two-force member. Additionally, the member should not be subjected to any external moments or torques.

4. What are some common examples of two-force members?

Some common examples of two-force members include cables, ropes, and rods in tension, as well as beams or trusses with pinned or roller supports. These members are typically designed to resist only axial forces, making them ideal for two-force member analysis.

5. Are there any limitations to the concept of two-force members?

Yes, there are limitations to the concept of two-force members. In real-world structures, it is rare to find a member that is subjected to only two forces. Additionally, the concept only applies to members that are in equilibrium and do not experience any deformation. Therefore, it is important for engineers to consider these limitations when using the concept of two-force members in their designs.