Why can't we do this by using radius of curvature?

In summary: To find that you will need to use the law of cosines to find the angle between the tangential and radial components of the acceleration. Once you have that, you can use the law of sines to find the angle between the radial and tangential components. Then you can use the law of cosines to find the angle between the radial and tangential components and the original string angle.
Nimarjeet Bajwa
Homework Statement
A small particle attach to the one end of string. The other end of the string is attached to the fixed point. The mass is raised such that the string is horizontal released. The locus of the tip of acceleration vector is a circle with radius (a/b)g. Find the value of a+b?
Relevant Equations
a+b is an integer. Also what exactly does Homework equation means
I have tried this question thrice. and for 3 days. I will try to explain My attempts as best as i can

Attempt-1--> This is fairly basic. I found X(t) and Y(t) in polar form and put them in the equation of circle. After that diffrentiated both sides with respect to "x" however the answer came out to be wrong. And i still don't completely understand why i diffrentiated

Attempt-2--> in this i just found the co-ordinates of the particle when it was at the bottom most point and at the horizontals. Then using the property of circles. I obtained a determinant which when simplified gave the wrong answer.

Attempt-3--> I found out that if i plot the graph of the pendulum of Displacement in X and Y directions it comes out to be f(x)= -R|sinx|. Where "R" is the length of the string. After obtaining this function i found the radius of curvature of the function . And since the radius of curvature and Length of the string should be equal I equated both after solving it Nothing of importance was obtained.

Attachments

• Attempt1.jpg
    Attempt1.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 184
  • Attempt 11.jpg
    Attempt 11.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 181
  • Attempt 2.jpg
    Attempt 2.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 149
  • Attempt22.jpg
    Attempt22.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 174
  • Attempt 3.jpg
    Attempt 3.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 184
  • Attempt 33.jpg
    Attempt 33.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 167
Physics news on Phys.org
First of all, the problem is poorly posed. If the radius of the circle ##r = \frac a b g##, then it is also true that ##r = \frac {ca} {cb} g## for any ##c \in \mathbb R## except ##0##. So you can make ##ca + cb## any real number (or integer) except ##0## you want by choosing an appropriate value of ##c##. I suggest that you point that out in your answer.

That aside, there is a fairly straightforward way to solve the problem. I can't make any sense of your diagram, but I would suggest starting with a free body diagram showing all of the forces acting on the particle and the resultant acceleration vector as a function of the string angle. That vector involves the speed of the particle, so you will need to use conservation of energy to get the particle speed as a function of the string angle. With that you can write out the acceleration vector components as functions of the string angle and notice that they form a parametric equation of a circle.

Last edited:
Likes Nimarjeet Bajwa
Further to @tnich 's reply, in your thread title you ask why it cannot be solved using radius of curvature. You will use that to get the centripetal component of acceleration, but there is also a tangential component.

Likes Nimarjeet Bajwa

1. Why can't we use the radius of curvature to measure the size of an object?

The radius of curvature is a measure of the curvature of a surface, and is typically used to describe the shape of a curve or surface. It is not an accurate way to measure the size of an object because it only takes into account the curvature at a single point, rather than the entire object.

2. Can we use the radius of curvature to determine the volume of an object?

No, the radius of curvature is a two-dimensional measurement and cannot be used to accurately determine the volume of an object. To calculate the volume, we need to consider the three dimensions of length, width, and height.

3. Why is the radius of curvature not a reliable way to measure the surface area of an object?

The radius of curvature only takes into account the curvature at a single point, rather than the entire surface of an object. This can lead to inaccurate measurements, especially for objects with irregular or varying curvatures.

4. Is the radius of curvature a useful tool for measuring the distance between two objects?

No, the radius of curvature is not a reliable way to measure the distance between two objects. It only describes the curvature of a single object and does not take into account the distance between objects.

5. Can we use the radius of curvature to determine the weight of an object?

No, the radius of curvature is not related to the weight or mass of an object. Weight is determined by factors such as density and gravity, while the radius of curvature only describes the shape of an object.