Why Do DC Brushless Motors Need Hall/EMF Sensors?

In summary, the use of a sensor is necessary in a DC brushless motor to ensure that the rotor is in sync with the stator and to determine when to make the next commutation. While it is possible to control the motor without a sensor, this method relies on estimating the rotor position through the V-I relationship. However, using a sensor provides more accurate and reliable control.
VarietyBook
I understand the basic gist of the whole DC brushless motor, but I don't understand why there needs to be a sensor. Why can't the controller just alternate between phases at a constant rate? What I mean is that if there are a fixed number of ways the coils can be charged, why not just alternate between them and keep going? I hope my question makes sense.

Engineering news on Phys.org
"There has to be a sensor giving feedback to the system indicating when the rotor has reached the desired position. If commutation is done faster than this, the rotor magnets go out of sync with the stator magnetic field and the rotor vibrates instead of rotating. There needs to be a sensing method to determine if the position of the rotor is in sync with the stator, so that the next commutation can be made. There are many types of sensors used in motors: encoders, potentiometers, switches, and others."

From http://www.freescale.com/files/microcontrollers/doc/app_note/AN4058.pdf

Your assumption is that the rotational rates are uniform, and that everything is perfect ... we use feedback-control systems because that ain't so!

It is possible to control a synchronous permanent magnet motor without the use of a sensor*. Instead the position of the rotor is estimated through the V-I relationship (or "back emf"). But there is still some control that somehow involves the rotor position.

*as in, this scheme does not require an additional doodad in the motor itself

1. Why do DC brushless motors need Hall/EMF sensors?

DC brushless motors need Hall/EMF sensors because they are used to detect the position and speed of the rotor in the motor. This information is necessary for the motor to accurately control the timing of the commutation process, which is essential for the motor to run smoothly and efficiently.

2. How do Hall/EMF sensors work in DC brushless motors?

Hall/EMF sensors work by measuring the magnetic field generated by the permanent magnets on the rotor. This magnetic field changes as the rotor rotates, and the sensors can detect these changes and convert them into electrical signals. These signals are then used to determine the position and speed of the rotor.

3. Are Hall/EMF sensors necessary for all DC brushless motors?

No, Hall/EMF sensors are not necessary for all DC brushless motors. Some motors use other methods, such as encoder feedback, to determine the position and speed of the rotor. However, Hall/EMF sensors are commonly used in smaller and less expensive motors due to their simplicity and cost-effectiveness.

4. Can Hall/EMF sensors fail in a DC brushless motor?

Yes, Hall/EMF sensors can fail in a DC brushless motor. They are electronic components and can be susceptible to damage from extreme temperatures, vibrations, or electrical interference. However, most modern sensors are designed to be reliable and have a long lifespan.

5. Can Hall/EMF sensors be replaced in a DC brushless motor?

Yes, Hall/EMF sensors can be replaced in a DC brushless motor if they fail. However, it is important to ensure that the replacement sensors are compatible with the motor's specifications and properly calibrated for accurate readings. It is recommended to consult a professional or refer to the motor's manual for proper replacement procedures.