Why do we have minimum deviation of a prism?

In summary, the minimum deviation of a prism is a phenomenon explained by Snell's law, which describes how light bends when passing through different mediums. While a mathematical explanation is available, a physical explanation can be demonstrated by drawing diagrams and performing calculations using Snell's law. However, there may not always be a clear physical explanation for certain phenomena.
Sheldon11
Why do we have minimum deviation of prism? physical explanation is needed!

Physics news on Phys.org
Sheldon11 said:
Why do we have minimum deviation of prism? physical explanation is needed!

Physical explanation: Snell's law.

Mathematical explanation: https://www.usna.edu/Users/physics/mungan/_files/documents/Scholarship/MinimumDeviation.pdf

You should make an effort to describe more of what you KNOW. Otherwise, I have to make a guess that you know what Snell's law is and how to use it. Your question should always be accompanied by a more elaborate explanation.

Zz.

thank you for your helping :)

ZapperZ said:
Physical explanation: Snell's law.

I know about snell's law.. But I cannot figure it the physical explanation properly.. if you could explain it more details, i would be very helpful.

Sheldon11 said:
I know about snell's law.. But I cannot figure it the physical explanation properly.. if you could explain it more details, i would be very helpful.

The mathematical explanation does not give you an insight into the physical explanation?

Zz.

@Sheldon11 Even if you don't like Maths too much, you can draw a triangle (prism) and a line for the incident ray. Measure the angle to the normal. Use Snell to find the angle of refraction and draw the line to the next surface, Snell again and you have the exit ray direction. Try for a few different angles and see that there is a minimum. That should be 'physical' enough for anyone.
Sometimes there just isn't a 'physical' explanation for a phenomenon that you can't just feel. Also, when we feel something is 'obvious' , it's often because we are so used to it that we take it for granted. If you do a few spot calculations you will see how the figures work and that can give you a feeling of understanding, which is the most any of us can hope for about any Science.

Sheldon11 said:

What do you mean when you ask for a "physical explanation"? Are you asking how light interacts with glass? Are you asking about how to come up with the derivation? Something else?

Drakkith said:
What do you mean when you ask for a "physical explanation"?
Haha. An explanation that manages not to include any Maths, I think.

Likes Sheldon11
I think I am getting it right! thank you very much for your thougt! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Sheldon11 said:
I think I am getting it right! thank u very much for your thougt! :)
You can be confident that you have got it right if you do some actual calculations. (Sorry but it's true! :wink:)

1. Why do we use prisms in scientific experiments?

Prisms are used in scientific experiments to manipulate light and separate it into its component colors. They can also be used to reflect light and create optical illusions.

2. What is minimum deviation of a prism?

The minimum deviation of a prism refers to the angle at which a ray of light enters and exits the prism with the least amount of deviation. This angle is important in determining the refractive index of the prism material.

3. Why is minimum deviation important in prism experiments?

The minimum deviation of a prism is important because it allows for accurate measurement of the refractive index of the prism material. It also ensures that the colors of the light spectrum are separated evenly, making it easier to study their properties.

4. How is minimum deviation of a prism calculated?

The minimum deviation of a prism can be calculated using the formula: D = (A + δ) - (i1 + i2), where D is the minimum deviation angle, A is the angle of incidence, δ is the angle of refraction, and i1 and i2 are the angles of the prism faces.

5. What factors affect the minimum deviation of a prism?

The minimum deviation of a prism can be affected by the angle of incidence, the refractive index of the prism material, and the shape and thickness of the prism. Additionally, the wavelength and intensity of the light entering the prism can also impact the minimum deviation angle.