Why Does a Unified Atomic Mass Unit Differ from Calculated Values?

In summary, the unified atomic mass unit is defined as 1/12 of the mass of a carbon-12 isotope and has a value of 1.66 X 10^-27kg. This value may differ slightly from the calculation of 0.012/6.02 X10^23 due to the different masses of quarks in protons and neutrons. Additionally, using Avogadro's constant to calculate the mass of an atom of carbon-12 may result in a slightly different answer due to rounding errors or slight variations in the values used.
al_201314
Hi guys

I understand that the unified atomic mass unit is defined as 1/12 of the mass of a carbon-12 isotope and has a value of 1.66 X 10^-27kg. Why is this value slightly different with when I use the calculation 0.012/6.02 X10^23?

Why in theory, is the mass of a protn different from a neutron?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
oh dear I realized what I missed out.. but I'd appreciate any help regarding the difference in mass of a proton and a neutron.

I have one more question, given the avagadro's constant, I was told to find the mass of an atom of carbon-12. I took 0.012/6.02X10^23 which gives me 1.99 X10^-26kg but the answer I was given was ^-25. Was there a mistake on my part or the answer is wrong?

Thanks!

Last edited:
al_201314 said:
Why in theory, is the mass of a protn different from a neutron?

The simple "hand-waving" answer is that protons and neutrons contain different quarks which have different masses. A proton is composed of two up quarks and a down quark. Wheras neutrons consist of two down quarks and an up quark. The exact mass of these quarks are unknow but it is commonly accepted that a down quark is more massive than an up quark.

~H

1. What is a Unified Atomic Mass unit (u)?

A Unified Atomic Mass unit, also known as Dalton, is a unit of mass used to express the mass of atoms and molecules on a microscopic scale. It is defined as 1/12th of the mass of a carbon-12 atom.

2. How is the Unified Atomic Mass unit (u) related to the atomic mass of an element?

The atomic mass of an element is the average mass of all the naturally occurring isotopes of that element. The Unified Atomic Mass unit is used to express this mass on a scale that is convenient for scientific calculations.

3. Why is the Unified Atomic Mass unit (u) used instead of grams?

The Unified Atomic Mass unit is used in scientific calculations because it is more precise and convenient for working with the extremely small masses of atoms and molecules. Additionally, the mass of an atom in grams can vary depending on the number of atoms present, making it difficult to compare masses of different elements.

4. How is the Unified Atomic Mass unit (u) measured?

The Unified Atomic Mass unit is measured using mass spectrometry, a technique that separates and measures the masses of individual atoms or molecules. The results are then compared to the mass of a carbon-12 atom, which is defined as 12 u.

5. Is the Unified Atomic Mass unit (u) the same as atomic mass?

No, the Unified Atomic Mass unit is a unit of mass, while atomic mass is a physical property of an element. The atomic mass is measured in the Unified Atomic Mass unit and is often expressed as a decimal number on the periodic table.