Why does a wrist have 3 degrees of freedom?

In summary: Thanks for the summary.In summary, the other two movements make use of the wrist and can't be done without it so I see why they are considered to be degrees of freedom of the wrist. Radial/ulnar is a rotation about the z-axis Flexion/extension is a rotation about the x-axis Pronation/suppination is a rotation about the y-axis.
Alex8932
Homework Statement
Why does a wrist have 3 degrees of freedom?
Relevant Equations
The image at this link (https://i.stack.imgur.com/pcSjn.png) illustrates them but pronation can be done even without the wrist present so I don't understand why it is considered to be a degree of freedom of the wrist. During pronation the whole wrist itself is moving.
The other two movements make use of the wrist and can't be done without it so I see why they are considered to be degrees of freedom of the wrist.

Likes PeroK
Physics news on Phys.org
It has three degrees of freedom because it can be rotated about three mutually perpendicular axes.

If you label axes such that
z is perpendicular to the palm on the front of the right hand
x is along the outstretched thumb
y is along the four fingers

Then
Radial/ulnar is a rotation about the z-axis
Flexion/extension is a rotation about the x-axis
Pronation/suppination is a rotation about the y-axis

This idea of three mutually perpendicular axes is used in one version of the right hand rule which is implemented without rotation about any of the axes.
RHR.jpeg

Likes Lnewqban
At first I was skeptical, but after some thought I see your point.

Pronation is accomplished by the rotation of the radius and ulna about a common lengthwise axis. I'm not sure if the wrist joint itself makes any active movement; it seems to just go along for the ride.

pcSjn.png
"During pronation, the distal end of the radius rotates around the ulna from its position on the lateral side of the wrist to the medial side of the wrist. This action turns the hand, wrist, and forearm almost 180 degrees..."
https://www.innerbody.com/image/musc03.html#:~:text=During%20pronation%2C%20the%20distal%20end,the%20position%20of%20the%20arm.
kuruman said:
Then
Radial/ulnar is a rotation about the z-axis
Flexion/extension is a rotation about the x-axis
Pronation/suppination is a rotation about the y-axis

This idea of three mutually perpendicular axes is used in one version of the right hand rule which is implemented without rotation about any of the axes.
View attachment 322289
I don't see how this applies to the OP's question. It doesn't seem to restrict itself to the wrist joint.

Likes PeroK
DaveC426913 said:
I don't see how this applies to the OP's question. It doesn't seem to restrict itself to the wrist joint.
Perhaps the degrees of freedom of the wrist are defined by the ability of the hand to rotate about the three axes. This article says in the abstract that the wrist has 3 dof. However, there seems to be no consensus because this article in section "Joints of the Wrist and Hand" says "The wrist has two degrees of freedom[11], although some say three degrees of freedom because they include the movements of pronation and supination[8], which occur at the the radioulnar joint. The radioulnar joint is often referred to as a joint of the forearm but it is this articulation that gives the wrist more freedom of movement. The true joints of the wrist and hand are listed in the table below[11]."

So I guess the answer to OP's question "Why does a wrist have 3 degrees of freedom?" the answer seems to be, "Because some people have counted 3 whereas others have counted 2." I am no expert on the subject, so I will shut up at this point.

Likes Lnewqban, DaveC426913, gmax137 and 2 others
Alex8932 said:
Homework Statement:: Why does a wrist have 3 degrees of freedom?
Relevant Equations:: The image at this link (https://i.stack.imgur.com/pcSjn.png) illustrates them but pronation can be done even without the wrist present so I don't understand why it is considered to be a degree of freedom of the wrist. During pronation the whole wrist itself is moving.

The other two movements make use of the wrist and can't be done without it so I see why they are considered to be degrees of freedom of the wrist.
Umm... Why not?
OK, then evolution, that's why. The people with these wrists made more babies that lived to replicate. Different for octopuses and zebras though.

1. Why does a wrist have 3 degrees of freedom?

The wrist has 3 degrees of freedom because it is made up of three joints: the radiocarpal joint, the midcarpal joint, and the carpometacarpal joint. These joints allow for flexion and extension, radial and ulnar deviation, and supination and pronation movements, giving the wrist a total of 3 degrees of freedom.

2. How does the anatomy of the wrist contribute to its 3 degrees of freedom?

The bones in the wrist, specifically the radius, ulna, and carpal bones, are arranged in a way that allows for a wide range of motion. The shape and orientation of these bones, along with the presence of ligaments and tendons, play a crucial role in providing the wrist with 3 degrees of freedom.

3. What are the benefits of having 3 degrees of freedom in the wrist?

Having 3 degrees of freedom in the wrist allows for a wide range of movements, making it easier to perform tasks that require fine motor skills and precision. It also allows for a more natural and comfortable hand position, reducing strain and fatigue on the wrist and hand muscles.

4. Are there any limitations to the 3 degrees of freedom in the wrist?

While the wrist has 3 degrees of freedom, it is still limited in its range of motion compared to other joints in the body. Additionally, certain injuries or conditions can affect the wrist's ability to move in all 3 degrees of freedom.

5. How does the wrist's 3 degrees of freedom differ from other joints in the body?

The wrist's 3 degrees of freedom are unique in that it allows for a combination of rotational and translational movements, unlike other joints in the body that primarily move in one plane. This allows for a greater range of motion and versatility in hand and wrist movements.