Why does an abelian group of order G have G conjugacy classes

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between abelian groups and their conjugacy classes, as well as the dimensionality of their irreducible representations. The conversation highlights that an abelian group of order |G| has precisely |G| conjugacy classes because the conjugate of any element g in G is just equal to g itself. Additionally, it is mentioned that for a finite group, the number of irreducible representations is less than or equal to the order of the group. Finally, the conversation concludes that the number of irreducible representations of a group is equal to the number of conjugacy classes, which explains why the irreducible representations of abelian groups are one-dimensional.
Dixanadu

Homework Statement

Hi guys,

The title pretty much says it. I need to explain why:
(a) an abelian group of order |G| has precisely |G| conjugacy classes, and
(b) why the irreducible representations of abelian groups are one-dimensional.

Also in my description below, if I make any mathematical errors of any sort in my explanations please let me know because I really want to learn this!

Homework Equations

I don't think there are any

The Attempt at a Solution

Okay so this is one of those open-ended questions, so all I can do is present a few of my initial thoughts, but they arent really explanations. So what i know is this:

- if we take the conjugate of any element [itex]g \in G[/itex] for an abelian group: [itex]g_{1}gg_{1}^{-1}[/itex], it is just equal to the element [itex]g[/itex] itself. So each element belongs to its conjugacy class; and because there are |G| elements, there must be |G| conjugacy classes.

- for a finite group, the number of irreducible representations is less than or equal to the order of the group.

- You can calculate the order of a finite group using the formula [itex]|G|=\sum_{R}d_{R}^{2}[/itex]; where [itex]R[/itex] is an index that runs through the list of irreducible representations, and [itex]d_{r}[/itex] is the dimension of the Rth representation. So if there is 1 representation for each group element (is this true?) then R must range from 1 to |G|; and thus [itex]d_{R} = d_{R}^{2} = 1[/itex]...so each representation is 1 dimensional.

So can u guys tell me what I'm missing for either parts of the question, or if I've made any mistakes?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
For the first part, I would state explicitly why ##g_1 g g_1^{-1} = g## (and maybe call the conjugating element something else, like ##h##, for clarity?) as this is the crucial point - any g1 commutes with g only because the group is abelian.

For the second one, the number of irreducible representations of a group is equal to the number of conjugacy classes in the group. Do you have this result available? Because then (b) would follow quite straightforwardly from (a), I think.

1. What is an abelian group?

An abelian group is a mathematical structure consisting of a set of elements and an operation (usually denoted as +) that satisfies the properties of closure, associativity, identity, and inverse. In abelian groups, the operation is commutative, meaning that the order in which the elements are combined does not affect the result.

2. What is the order of a group?

The order of a group refers to the number of elements in the group. For example, if a group has 4 elements, its order is 4.

3. What are conjugacy classes in a group?

Conjugacy classes in a group are subsets of elements that are related to each other through a specific operation called conjugation. In an abelian group, all elements are in their own conjugacy class since the operation is commutative and every element is its own inverse.

4. Why does an abelian group have G conjugacy classes?

An abelian group has G conjugacy classes because every element in the group is in its own conjugacy class. This is because in an abelian group, the conjugacy class of an element is simply that element itself, due to the commutative property of the group's operation.

5. How does the number of conjugacy classes relate to the order of an abelian group?

The number of conjugacy classes in an abelian group is always equal to the order of the group. This is because, as mentioned earlier, in an abelian group, each element is in its own conjugacy class, and therefore, the number of conjugacy classes is the same as the number of elements in the group.