Why does equation 35.21 have an extra minus sign?

In summary, spinors are mathematical objects used to describe the quantum states of particles with half-integer spin. They are classified as either Weyl spinors or Dirac spinors based on the number of complex components they have. Spinors are related to rotations and reflections through spin groups and have various applications in physics, including in particle physics and condensed matter physics. They can be represented mathematically using matrices or vectors, depending on the context.
sunshine9
TL;DR Summary
Hi,everybody,I'm reading Srednicki's qft textbook,and I'm puzzled by the calculation about spinor indices.I can't realize Eq35.21.
Eq35.17 and 35.18 is obtained,but the result of Eq35.21 I obtained has an extra minus sign,I don't know what's wrong of my calculation,so I hope some people much more smarter can figure it out.Thanks.
1602925250383.png

Physics news on Phys.org
The minus sign in equation 35.21 is most likely due to a mistake in the algebraic manipulation of the equation. You can try double-checking your work to see if you can spot where the error is, or you can try consulting with someone else who is better at algebra to help you find the mistake.

1. What is the concept of spinors in physics?

Spinors are mathematical objects used to represent the intrinsic angular momentum, or spin, of particles in quantum mechanics. They are a fundamental part of the Standard Model of particle physics and are essential for understanding the behavior of elementary particles.

2. How are spinors used in solving puzzles?

In puzzles involving the index of spinors, spinors are used as a way to encode and manipulate information. They can be used to represent different states or configurations of a puzzle, and their properties can be used to solve the puzzle by finding the correct combination of spinors.

3. What is the significance of the index of spinors in puzzles?

The index of spinors is a mathematical quantity that describes the number of independent spinor components in a given space. In puzzles, it is used to determine the complexity and difficulty of the puzzle, as well as the number of possible solutions.

4. Can spinors be applied to real-world problems?

Yes, spinors have many applications in physics and other fields. They are used in quantum mechanics, relativity, and even in computer science and engineering. Spinors are also used in image and signal processing, as well as in cryptography and information theory.

5. Are there any practical benefits to studying puzzles of index of spinors?

Studying puzzles of index of spinors can help develop problem-solving skills and improve mathematical reasoning. It can also deepen understanding of concepts in physics and other fields where spinors are used. Additionally, solving these puzzles can be a fun and challenging activity for those interested in mathematics and puzzles.