Why does [sin(θ/2)-cos(θ/2)]^2 not always equal 1?

In summary: Follows from ##cos {2θ}=cos^2 θ - sin^2θ##... ⇒##\cos θ = cos^2 \frac {1}{2} θ - sin^2 \frac {1}{2} θ##In summary, the conversation was about whether [sin(θ/2)-cos(θ/2)]^2 equals 1 for all values of θ. The attempt at a solution involved using the equation sin^2(A)+cos^2(A)=1, but it was incorrect because (A-B)^2 ≠ A^2 + B^2. It was then pointed out that cos^2(θ/2)-sin^2(θ/
NanoChrisK

Homework Statement

Does [sin(θ/2)-cos(θ/2)]^2 equal 1 for all values of θ?

I need to figure this out to solve a physics problem.

Homework Equations

sin^2(A)+cos^2(A)=1

The Attempt at a Solution

[sin(θ/2)-cos(θ/2)]^2
=sin^2(θ/2)+cos^2(θ/2)
=1

But this isn't what I get when I put f(x)=[sin(θ/2)-cos(θ/2)]^2 in my graphing calculator. What's going on?

Physics news on Phys.org
NanoChrisK said:

Homework Statement

Does [sin(θ/2)-cos(θ/2)]^2 equal 1 for all values of θ?

I need to figure this out to solve a physics problem.

Homework Equations

sin^2(A)+cos^2(A)=1

The Attempt at a Solution

[sin(θ/2)-cos(θ/2)]^2
=sin^2(θ/2)+cos^2(θ/2)
The above is wrong. (A - B)2 ##\neq## A2 - B2.
NanoChrisK said:
=1

But this isn't what I get when I put f(x)=[sin(θ/2)-cos(θ/2)]^2 in my graphing calculator. What's going on?

Draw a unit circle with a radius at an arbitrary angle and looks at the equation in terms of what it means in that context. This should show you pretty quickly whether it's true or not.

Mark44 said:
The above is wrong. (A - B)2 ≠\neq A2 - B2.

Hmm I may be wrong, but I think you meant to type "(A -B)2 ≠ A2+A2" (with a + in the second half of the equation) This is the form I gave it in, unless I'm missing something. Is this not correct? I'm getting this from:

(A-B)2 = (A-B)(A-B) = A2 + AB - AB + (-B)2 = A2 + B2

Mark44 said:
The above is wrong. (A - B)2 ##\neq## A2 - B2.

Ok I see what I said previously was incorrect! Because

(A-B)2 = (A-B)(A-B) = A2 - 2AB + (-B)2 = A2 - 2AB + B2

NOT what I had earlier. I guess I just need to re-take basic algebra! Thanks Mark!

NanoChrisK said:
Hmm I may be wrong, but I think you meant to type "(A -B)2 ≠ A2+A2" (with a + in the second half of the equation) This is the form I gave it in, unless I'm missing something. Is this not correct? I'm getting this from:

(A-B)2 = (A-B)(A-B) = A2 + AB - AB + (-B)2 = A2 + B2
No, this part is wrong: A2 + AB - AB + (-B)2, namely the +AB term.

Mark44 said:
No, this part is wrong: A2 + AB - AB + (-B)2, namely the +AB term.

Yes, I understand now :D There should have been a -2AB in the middle there. Thanks for making that clear to me!

It is fairly easy to show that [itex]cos^2(\theta/2)- sin^2(\theta/2)= cos(\theta)[/itex], not 1.

Likes chwala
HallsofIvy said:
It is fairly easy to show that [itex]cos^2(\theta/2)- sin^2(\theta/2)= cos(\theta)[/itex], not 1.
Follows from ##cos {2θ}=cos^2 θ - sin^2θ##...
⇒##\cos θ = cos^2 \frac {1}{2} θ - sin^2 \frac {1}{2} θ##

1. What does the equation Sin^2(θ/2)+cos^2(θ/2)=1 represent?

The equation represents the Pythagorean identity, which is a fundamental trigonometric identity that relates the three basic trigonometric functions: sine, cosine, and tangent. It states that for any angle θ, the square of the sine of half the angle plus the square of the cosine of half the angle equals 1.

2. Why is the equation important in trigonometry?

The equation is important because it allows us to easily express and manipulate trigonometric expressions in terms of sine and cosine. It is also used in many applications involving triangles, circles, and periodic functions.

3. What is the relationship between the equation and the unit circle?

The equation is closely related to the unit circle, which is a circle with a radius of 1 centered at the origin on a coordinate plane. The Pythagorean identity can be derived from the unit circle, as the sine and cosine functions are defined as the y and x coordinates, respectively, of a point on the unit circle.

4. Can the equation be used to solve trigonometric equations?

Yes, the Pythagorean identity can be used to solve trigonometric equations by manipulating the equation to isolate the unknown variable. It can also be used to simplify complex trigonometric expressions and verify trigonometric identities.

5. Are there any other variations of the Pythagorean identity?

Yes, there are several other variations of the Pythagorean identity, such as Sin^2(θ)+cos^2(θ)=1, 1+tan^2(θ)=sec^2(θ), and 1+cot^2(θ)=csc^2(θ). These identities all relate the three basic trigonometric functions and are used in various contexts in mathematics and physics.