Why does the argument change in solving z^3 = j using DeMoivre's theorem?

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the solutions to the equation z^3 = j, with a focus on the argument and use of DeMoivre's theorem. The speaker is confused about why their friend's argument changed and how to solve for z in the equation. The summary also includes a reminder of DeMoivre's theorem and clarifies that the correct calculation for z in this case is (j)^{1/3}, not j^3.
aliz_khanz
q. find all the solution of equation z^3= j

Attempt

okie now we know we have its argument as pie/2 but my friend did this and he placed the argument of it as THETA + 2*pie*k/ n

i want to ask first why the argument change ?

second , i thought in demoivers theorem we multiply n to argument but he has divided it ...

please help , its getting on my nerves :(

Physics news on Phys.org
hializ_khanz! :smile:

(have a pi: π and try using the X2 icon just above the Reply box :wink:)
aliz_khanz said:
okie now we know we have its argument as pie/2 but my friend did this and he placed the argument of it as THETA + 2*pie*k/ n

(i'm not quite following this :confused:, but …)

remember that j = eiπ/2 = = e5iπ/2 = = e9iπ/2 :wink:

DeMoivre's theorem says that
[tex]z^n= (re^{j\theta})^n= r^n e^{jn\theta}[/tex]

But you want to solve [itex]z^3= j[/itex] so you want to calculuate
[itex]z= (j)^{1/3}[/itex], not [itex]j^3[/itex].

Related to Why does the argument change in solving z^3 = j using DeMoivre's theorem?

1. What are complex numbers and how are they different from real numbers?

Complex numbers are numbers that have both a real part and an imaginary part. The imaginary part is represented by the letter "i", where i^2 = -1. Real numbers, on the other hand, only have a single value and do not have an imaginary component.

2. How are complex numbers used in real-world applications?

Complex numbers are used in a variety of applications, such as electrical engineering, physics, and signal processing. They are especially useful in solving equations that involve oscillations, rotations, and waves. They also have applications in computer graphics, cryptography, and quantum mechanics.

3. What are the basic operations for complex numbers?

The basic operations for complex numbers are addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division. Addition and subtraction are done by adding or subtracting the real parts and the imaginary parts separately. Multiplication involves using the distributive property and the fact that i^2 = -1. Division is done by multiplying the numerator and denominator by the complex conjugate of the denominator.

4. How do you graph complex numbers on a coordinate plane?

Complex numbers can be graphed on a coordinate plane called the complex plane. The real part of the complex number is represented on the x-axis, and the imaginary part is represented on the y-axis. The point where the two intersect represents the complex number.

5. What is the significance of the modulus and argument of a complex number?

The modulus of a complex number represents its distance from the origin on the complex plane. It is found by taking the square root of the sum of the squares of the real and imaginary parts. The argument of a complex number represents the angle it makes with the positive real axis. It is found using trigonometric functions and is measured in radians.