Why doesn't a weak acid/base act as a buffer on its own?

In summary, the weak acid will not act as a buffer on its own, because it will partially dissociate into its conjugate base. The A^{-} will work differently to H^{+}, because the concentration of the products will be greater than the concentration of the A^{-}.
sungholee
Hello. I am a high school level student and I had a question about weak acids/bases and why they wouldn't work as a buffer on its own.

If the dissociation of a weak acid is [itex]HA \rightleftharpoons H^{+} + A^{-}[/itex], then when we add [itex]OH^{-}[/itex], it will react with the [itex]H^{+}[/itex] to form water. Because the concentration of the products had been decreased, more [itex]HA[/itex] will dissociate. It's very simple for me upto this point.

But the problem is when we add [itex]H^{+}[/itex], it will react with the [itex]A^{-}[/itex] to form [itex]HA[/itex]. Then, according to Le Chatelier's principle, wouldn't the [itex]HA[/itex] dissociate, because its concentration is greater than the products? What I have been told is that now no more [itex]H^{+}[/itex] can be neutralized because all of the [itex]A^{-}[/itex] have been used up, and that's why we need a salt of the acid, to provide that [itex]A^{-}[/itex]. However, I fail to see why the [itex]A^{-}[/itex] would work differently to [itex]H^{+}[/itex].

Of course, I can pretend I understand it and simply memorise it, but I'll be studying chem in uni so I want to have a strong understanding of the basics.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Chemistry news on Phys.org
Hi, are you asking for example why a weak acid alone would not act as a buffer? ...As opposed to the typical buffer being a weak acid and conjugate base mixture?

In essence, yes I am.

It is a matter of how effective a solution is at maintaining the constant pH. If it resist pH changes we call it a buffer, when it doesn't - we don't. Resistance to pH changes is called a buffer capacity. And it is highest for pH=pKa, goes down the further from the pKa we are.

See derivation and plot here: buffer capacity.

Well, you can't really have a weak acid by itself, as far as I know. It will always partially dissociate into its conjugate base, reaching equilibrium. This is in contrast with a strong acid, which dissociates essentially completely.

I think maybe more related to what you are asking though is something called percent ionization. This is a simple ratio of the concentration of H+ over the concentration of HA (expressed as a percent). Weak acids have small percent ionizations, for example 0.2 M HNO3 would only have a percent ionization of about 4.8% (so like 5 molecules out of 100 dissociate).

Now maybe sort of an unintuitive thing happens, when you increase the concentration of a weak acid, the percent ionization actually decreases. In other words a smaller fraction of the weak acid molecules dissociate. So like a 2.5 M HNO3 solution has a percent ionization of 1.4% (now only like 1 out of 100 dissociate). (I am just getting these vaules from a text) Its still the case that the concentration of H+ is greater for the higher molarity, but the (percent) amount of dissociation that occurs is less.

So in other words the dissociation of HA isn't a linear relationship with concentration, as (if I am reading you right) you might be thinking.

1. Why can't a weak acid/base act as a buffer on its own?

A weak acid/base alone cannot act as a buffer because buffers require both a weak acid/base and its conjugate base/acid. A buffer is a solution that resists changes in pH when small amounts of acid or base are added. The weak acid/base provides the H+ or OH- ions while the conjugate base/acid helps to neutralize these ions, keeping the pH relatively constant.

2. How does a weak acid/base and its conjugate base/acid work together to create a buffer solution?

When a weak acid/base and its conjugate base/acid are combined in solution, the weak acid/base will donate or accept H+ ions while the conjugate base/acid will accept or donate H+ ions, respectively. This equilibrium reaction helps to maintain a relatively constant pH in the solution.

3. Can a weak acid/base become a buffer if it is in high concentration?

No, the concentration of the weak acid/base alone does not determine its ability to act as a buffer. Buffering capacity depends on the ratio of the weak acid/base to its conjugate base/acid. If the concentration of the weak acid/base is much higher than the concentration of its conjugate base/acid, it will not be an effective buffer.

4. Why is it important for a buffer to have both a weak acid/base and its conjugate base/acid?

Having both a weak acid/base and its conjugate base/acid in a buffer solution ensures that the buffer can neutralize both H+ and OH- ions, maintaining a relatively constant pH. Without the conjugate base/acid, the buffer would not be able to effectively neutralize additional acid or base that is added to the solution.

5. Can a strong acid/base act as a buffer?

No, a strong acid/base cannot act as a buffer because it completely dissociates in solution, meaning there is no equilibrium reaction to maintain a constant pH. A strong acid/base will simply contribute to a change in pH, rather than resisting it like a buffer does.