Why is absolute zero important in the PV = nRT formula?

In summary, today in school, an experiment was conducted to observe the relationship between temperature, volume, and pressure. A capillary tube with trapped air and sulphuric acid was heated and the increase in volume and temperature were recorded. This was to demonstrate how an increase in temperature leads to an increase in pressure, causing the sulphuric acid to move upwards until the pressure inside and outside are equal. The results were plotted and used to determine absolute zero, which is when volume = 0. This experiment was done to understand the concept of absolute zero, which is a crucial concept in the study of ideal gases.
Peter G.
Hi,

Today in school I performed an experiment that went like this:

We had a capillary tube with trapped air on the bottom, the top part was open to the atmosphere and, in between, there was some sulphuric acid.

We heated the capillary tube and recorded the increase in volume of the trapped air and the temperature.

We were trying to check I believe how an increase in temperature will cause an increase in pressure, moving the sulphuric acid upwards, increasing the volume until the pressure outside was equal to that "inside".

We then went to the computer lab and plotted the relation between volume and temperature and tried to find absolute zero...

I didn't understand that... Why would we graph the temperature against volume and try and find absolute zero. Why do this experiment to determine the absolute zero?

I believe because absolute zero is when volume is = 0. But why is it equal to zero, at least in an ideal gas, which I am studying.

Thanks,
Peter G.

Physics news on Phys.org
There's a famous formula [tex]PV = nRT[/tex].

Just google it.

Related to Why is absolute zero important in the PV = nRT formula?

What is absolute zero?

Absolute zero is the lowest possible temperature at which all molecular motion stops. It is equal to 0 Kelvin or -273.15 degrees Celsius.

Why is studying absolute zero important?

Studying absolute zero is important because it helps us understand the behavior and properties of matter at extremely low temperatures. It also has practical applications in fields such as cryogenics and superconductivity.

How is absolute zero experimentally achieved?

Absolute zero cannot be reached through conventional means, but scientists can get very close to it by using techniques such as adiabatic demagnetization and laser cooling.

What happens to matter at absolute zero?

At absolute zero, matter exhibits unique properties such as zero electrical resistance and infinite thermal conductivity. It also becomes more ordered and its volume decreases.

Can absolute zero experiments be used to create perpetual motion?

No, absolute zero experiments cannot be used to create perpetual motion as it violates the laws of thermodynamics. It is also impossible to reach absolute zero, so perpetual motion is not achievable.