Why Is Gauss' Law Failing to Solve This Problem?

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving the use of Gauss' Law for electric fields. The suggestion is made to approximate the problem with an infinite plane surface and to use the equation E=\frac{\sigma}{2\epsilon_0} to find the electric field at any point. The conversation also includes a discussion on finding the charge density and how to use it to find the total field.
danago
Gold Member
http://imageupload.com/out.php/i120384_Untitled.gif

I havnt had any luck with this question.

The only possible approach i can think of is to use gauss' law for electric fields.

I know I am supposed to show my working, but this really had me stumped, and I've really gotten nowhere. I did try a few different gaussian surfaces, but with no luck.

Any hints are greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Dan.

Physics news on Phys.org
try to approximate it with infinite plane surface, the thickness is small enough to the other proportions

How can i do that?

Would that mean that the electric field at any point will be given by [tex]E=\frac{\sigma}{2\epsilon_0}[/tex] where sigma is the charge per unit area?

Yes since the point is at the center this approximation exact enough, think of it as a point between two charged planes each with its own [tex]\sigma[/tex].

How can i find the charge density sigma? I tried by assuming that the charge is evenly distributed over each of the two larger surfaces, but didnt manage to get the correct answer, which is supposed to be E

Hi danago,

I got that answer, but I can't tell what you did without you posting numbers. What numbers did you use to find the charge densities?

Once you had those, what did you do to find the total field E?

find the charge density rho over whole volume, then compute sigma1=0.001*rho sigma2=0.004*rho, compute the two fields and subtract them after that you should get the correct answer.

Related to Why Is Gauss' Law Failing to Solve This Problem?

1. What is Gauss' Law and why is it important?

Gauss' Law is a fundamental principle in electromagnetism that relates the distribution of electric charge to the resulting electric field. It is important because it allows us to calculate the electric field in a given region without having to consider the individual charges that create it.

2. How did you approach your exploration of Gauss' Law?

I approached my exploration of Gauss' Law by first understanding the mathematical formulation of the law and then conducting experiments to observe its effects. I also studied its applications in different scenarios and analyzed its limitations.

3. What were some challenges you faced during your journey?

One of the main challenges I faced was understanding the concept of flux and its significance in Gauss' Law. I also struggled with applying the law in more complex scenarios and interpreting the results.

4. What did you learn from your unsuccessful journey?

From my unsuccessful journey, I learned the importance of thorough understanding and practice in mastering a concept. I also learned the value of perseverance and not giving up when faced with challenges.

5. How can Gauss' Law be used in real-world applications?

Gauss' Law has numerous real-world applications, such as in designing electrical circuits, calculating the electric field in different materials, and understanding the behavior of charged particles in electric and magnetic fields. It is also essential in the study of electromagnetism and its applications in technology.