Why is math crucial for understanding and achieving advancements in physics?

In summary, math is necessary to accurately model and understand complex systems like a time machine. The energy levels required for such a device are determined by the laws of physics, and solving math equations is crucial in this process. While it may seem far-fetched, using simpler and more practical examples, such as building a smartphone or a car engine, can also illustrate the importance of math in achieving practical goals. Physics and math work together to provide not only qualitative but also quantitative answers, making them essential tools in achieving new advancements in science and technology.
yimmortal
ok, i know this is really basic, but if you don't ask then nobody can help. I'm trying to understand the basic way that math works with physics. for example, if i wanted to build a time machine, why would i need to use the math of physics? why would i need to solve math equations? wouldn't i realistically need someone that knew how to build things with a wrench?
i know that's a far out example, but i really don't understand how math can make things work like that?

or how would math help us to achieve a new method of space travel??

these are questions my son has asked me and i really don't have an answer for him... please take this seriously and answer in simple terms because my knowledge of science is quite limited

Physics news on Phys.org
You need math because you need to MODEL the system correctly. For example, your time machine will need to generate something to allow you to time travel. This something isn't easy to achieve (otherwise, we all have it already). So there must be some energy level that it needs to produce. How much that energy level is must be based on the physics, i.e. it requires such-and-such energy to split open the space-time continuum, and this requires extensive modeling using physics.

I will criticize you (and maybe your son, depending on how old he is) of trying to figure out the use of math using such an esoteric (and crackpottish) example. Why not figure out why you need math based on ordinary, regular material? Why would you need math to build your smart phone? Why would you need math to build the combustion engine in your vehicle? This would have been significantly more obvious, and illustrates clearly the use of math, rather than using a "time machine".

In the end, as I've written in my signature line, physics isn't just saying "What comes up, must come down." Physics must also say when and where it comes down. The latter requires math. It is the difference between simply providing a qualitative answer, versus a more rigorous and useful quantitative answer.

Zz.

What is physics?

Physics is the branch of science that deals with the study of matter, energy, and their interactions. It seeks to understand the fundamental laws and principles that govern the natural world.

What is the difference between mass and weight?

Mass is a measure of the amount of matter in an object, while weight is a measure of the force of gravity acting on an object. Mass is measured in kilograms, while weight is measured in Newtons.

What is the difference between speed and velocity?

Speed is a measure of how fast an object is moving, while velocity is a measure of both speed and direction of motion. Speed is a scalar quantity, while velocity is a vector quantity.

What is Newton's first law of motion?

Newton's first law of motion, also known as the law of inertia, states that an object at rest will stay at rest and an object in motion will stay in motion with a constant velocity, unless acted upon by an external force.

What is the difference between kinetic and potential energy?

Kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its motion, while potential energy is the energy an object has due to its position or configuration. Kinetic energy is usually associated with moving objects, while potential energy is associated with stationary objects.