Why is Sodium Abbreviated "Na"?

• Thread starter IgnisAckerman
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sodium
In summary, the abbreviation for Sodium as "Na" is derived from the Latin name "natrium" while the process for deciding abbreviations for elements is determined by IUPAC. The word "googlable" is not yet officially recognized in dictionaries. The origin of the word "natron" and its use in ancient Egypt is also discussed. The naming and abbreviation of elements has caused disputes in the past, with some elements having symbols that do not match their modern names. The ancient name for lead, "plumbum", has influenced words such as "plumbing" and "plummet". The symbols for elements are consistent across languages, but their names may differ.
IgnisAckerman
Why is Sodium "Na"? Shouldn't it be called "So" or something like that? What is the process for deciding the abbreviations for elements?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
That's so easily googlable...
Wikipedia said:
Sodium is a chemical element with symbol Na (from Latin natrium)

For new elements, the naming is decided by IUPAC.

DrClaude said:
That's so easily googlable...For new elements, the naming is decided by IUPAC.
I didn't want to Google it, because I know from experience that Wikipedia can be a dark and unknowledgeable site sometimes. I posted the question(s) here in hopes that someone would know more (or at least be able to explain it better) than whoever wrote the page on Wikipedia.

Thank you for the information, though.

P.S. Is "googlable" an actual word yet?

IgnisAckerman said:
I didn't want to Google it, because I know from experience that Wikipedia can be a dark and unknowledgeable site sometimes. I posted the question(s) here in hopes that someone would know more (or at least be able to explain it better) than whoever wrote the page on Wikipedia.
Wikipedia is not that bad, at least when simple facts are concerned. Googling would also have given you many references other than Wikipedia.

IgnisAckerman said:
Not according to Merriam-Webster or the OED. Only "google" as a verb seems to be accepted.

Likes Dadface and IgnisAckerman
IgnisAckerman said:
It is now :woot:

Likes IgnisAckerman
Natrium -> natron. Natron is the dry white sodium salts mixed (several different ones) residue in dry lake beds. Egyptians used it in the mummification process. Romans knew about it, hence the Latinized name, derived from Egyptian.

This discusses a possible origin for the word natrium in Middle Egyptian, but like any decent write up on the subject of Middle Egpytian language it is all over the place:
https://ancientneareast.org/2012/02/10/an-excursus-on-the-egyptian-word-ntr/
Do a forward find on 'natron'.

IgnisAckerman said:

Perfectly cromulent!BoB

Likes Drakkith
The abbreviations and many of the names of the elements used in the nordic countries and in Germany, as opposed to France and England, where coined by Jöns Jakob Berzelius. Needless to say that this created a lot of dispute at the beginning of the 19th century.
Confer the book "Historical Studies in the Langauge of Chemistry" by M. P. Crosland.

Likes dextercioby
I don't know if they do still but I can remember, mnyah mnyah, when French texts were still insisting on writing Az for N.

There are a number of elements which have symbols that don't match up with their modern names, most derived from ancient names for them. One in particular found its way into our language in a number of ways, And that is Pb for lead. The Pb stands for Plumbum, the ancient name for lead.
This is also why we call the water pipes "plumbing", as they used to use lead for that.
Since lead is heavy and it once was believed that heavy object fell faster, we also get the word plummet from this.
Lead weights hung from strings are called plum bobs. And these were used to make things were perfectly vertical or 'Plumb'. And since you could also lower them in the water to measure the distance to the bottom, they were used to "plumb" the depths.
and lastly if you ate too much of a particular fruit it lead to an "heaviness" in your bowels, they were named "Plums".

Likes NTL2009, OmCheeto, Borek and 1 other person
Janus said:
There are a number of elements which have symbols that don't match up with their modern names, most derived from ancient names for them.
I would add that this depends on which "modern language" you consider. The names are not the same in every language, the symbols are ( I hope).

For example, symbols for Gold, Iron, Tungsten, Lead , Tin, Silver make perfect sense in romance languages, like in Romanian for example.

DrClaude said:
That's so easily googlable...

I think you've invented a new word. It expresses the advice you was giving perfectly.

1. Why is sodium abbreviated as "Na"?

Sodium's abbreviation "Na" comes from the Latin word "natrium", which is derived from the Greek word "nitrion". Both of these words refer to a naturally occurring compound called sodium carbonate, which was used in ancient times for various purposes, including making glass and as a preservative for food.

2. Is there a specific reason why "Na" was chosen as the symbol for sodium?

The symbol "Na" was chosen for sodium because it is the first letter of the element's Latin name "natrium". This follows the naming convention for elements, where the symbol is often derived from the element's name in either Latin or its country of discovery.

3. How did sodium's abbreviation become standardized as "Na"?

In the early 1800s, chemists began using symbols to represent elements in their experiments and research. The symbol "Na" was first used by chemist Humphry Davy in his work on isolating sodium. Over time, this symbol became widely adopted by other scientists and eventually became the standard abbreviation for sodium.

4. Are there any other elements with similar abbreviations to sodium?

Yes, there are a few other elements with abbreviations that are derived from their Latin names. For example, potassium is abbreviated as "K" from its Latin name "kalium" and gold is abbreviated as "Au" from its Latin name "aurum". However, not all element symbols follow this convention, as some are derived from their English names (such as carbon, which is abbreviated as "C").

5. Is there any significance to the capitalization of sodium's abbreviation "Na"?

The capitalization of "Na" as the abbreviation for sodium is not significant. In fact, the symbol for an element can be either uppercase or lowercase, depending on the source or context. For example, "na" is also sometimes used as the abbreviation for the element sodium in chemical formulas or equations.