Why is this equation non separable?

• MHB
  • Thread starter brunette15
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Separable
In summary, your equation is separable if you integrate the RHS with respect to x. If you omit this step, you will get a trivial solution.
brunette15
Hi everyone,
I am trying to find any particular solution for the equation dy/dx + y = 1.
I have been told it is not separable.

I have done the following:
dy/dx = 1-y
integral of 1/(1-y) dy = integral
-loge(1-y) = c
e^-c = 1-y
y = 1- e^-c
let c = 0
y = 1-1
A particular solution is y= 0.

My question is why would my questions be mathematically incorrect?

Physics news on Phys.org
I've moved this thread to our Differential Equations forum as that's a better fit for the question being asked. :D

The equation you posted is in fact separable, but I find it much easier to solve if we treat it as a linear equation, and multiply through by $e^x$ to obtain:

\(\displaystyle e^x\d{y}{x}+ye^x=e^x\)

Rewrite the left side, observing it is the differentiation of a product:

\(\displaystyle \frac{d}{dx}\left(e^xy\right)=e^x\)

Now, integrate through with respect to $x$:

\(\displaystyle e^xy=e^x+C\)

Divide through now by $e^x$ to obtain the explicit solution:

\(\displaystyle y(x)=1+Ce^{-x}\)

Notice that for suitable choice of $C$, we get the trivial solution $y\equiv1$ that you would technically lose by treating it as a separable equation.

brunette15 said:
dy/dx = 1-y
integral of 1/(1-y) dy = integral
-loge(1-y) = c

Hey brunette55, (Smile)

That should be $-\ln(1-y)=x+c$.
Do you see why?

brunette15 said:
Hi everyone,
I am trying to find any particular solution for the equation dy/dx + y = 1.
I have been told it is not separable.

I have done the following:
dy/dx = 1-y
integral of 1/(1-y) dy = integral ?

Your approach is valid, this equation is separable as you have shown. Your problem is that you did not integrate the RHS with respect to x. This is why I much prefer doing every step...

$\displaystyle \begin{align*} \frac{\mathrm{d}y}{\mathrm{d}x} &= 1 - y \\ \frac{1}{1 - y}\,\frac{\mathrm{d}y}{\mathrm{d}x} &= 1 \\ \int{ \frac{1}{1 - y }\,\frac{\mathrm{d}y}{\mathrm{d}x} \, \mathrm{d}x} &= \int{ 1 \,\mathrm{d}x} \\ \int{ \frac{1}{1 - y}\,\mathrm{d}y} &= x + C_1 \\ -\ln{ \left| 1 - y \right| } + C_2 &= x + C_1 \end{align*}$

Can you continue?

This all clears up a lot, thanks everyone! :)

1. Why is it important to know if an equation is non separable?

Knowing if an equation is non separable is important because it determines the type of mathematical techniques that can be used to solve it. Non separable equations require more complex methods to find solutions, making them more challenging to work with.

2. What makes an equation non separable?

An equation is non separable if it cannot be written in the form of two separate equations, each containing only one variable. This means that the variables in the equation are not independent and cannot be separated from each other.

3. Can a non separable equation be solved?

Yes, a non separable equation can be solved using advanced mathematical techniques such as numerical methods, series expansions, or integral transforms. These methods may require more time and effort compared to solving separable equations.

4. What are some common examples of non separable equations?

Some common examples of non separable equations include the Navier-Stokes equations in fluid dynamics, the Black-Scholes equation in financial mathematics, and the Schrödinger equation in quantum mechanics. These equations are used to describe complex systems and phenomena and cannot be separated into simpler equations.

5. How can I determine if an equation is non separable?

To determine if an equation is non separable, you can try to separate the variables and see if it is possible. If the equation cannot be written in the form of two separate equations, then it is non separable. Another way is to look for terms that are dependent on multiple variables, which is a characteristic of non separable equations.