Why Mathematicians use Mac over PC?

• Thread starter flyingpig
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mac pc
In summary, the conversation discusses the prevalence of Macs among mathematicians in a college and the question of whether someone going into physics or math should stick with a PC or blend in with a Mac. The consensus is that it doesn't really matter as long as the chosen device can run necessary applications. The benefits of Macs are their design and customer service, but they are also expensive. It is suggested to get a Windows-based laptop and dual-boot with Ubuntu, or to run Windows through a virtual box. The conversation also touches on the debate of whether a Mac is a PC or not. There is also a mention of a past deal where buying a Mac would result in a free iPod Touch.
flyingpig
All the Mathematicans in my college have a Mac...I don't know why.

I am going into Physics (or perhaps Math), should I blend in or stick with a PC?

Computer science news on Phys.org
flyingpig said:

I am going into Physics (or perhaps Math), should I blend in or stick with a PC?

I don't know if it really matters, just make sure whatever you choose can run the applications that you need to run.

Some applications have a portable code base and can run on multiple platforms (Mac, Windows, Linux etc) whereas others can only run on Windows.

For other common things like web-browsing, writing documents, playing music and other stuff like that, there's apps for every platform.

flyingpig said:

Well, they probably have Macs because a)they are better b)they can afford them :)

I have a dual-boot Windows/Ubuntu computer. I haven't really noticed what the profs use, but most of us students use Windows, and the students whose parents can afford it might have a Mac. It seems that most of the CS students use Windows, but that is probably because it is a lot easier to install linux on a Windows box than on a Mac.

I would probably never, ever spend the money required to get a Mac. Why? They are WAY too expensive. My Linux does just fine. Since it is Unix based, tt has most of the capabilities of a Mac, but the OS is free. The only downside (in my opinion) is that you don't have access the Apple's amazing customer service. But, there are tons of forums online from which you can get just about any information that you need. Also, there is still some software out there that won't work on the Linux platform, but that number is shrinking, especially as everything seems to be written in Java.

So, IMO, if you are decent with computers get a Windows box (heck, get a computer that doesn't even have an OS on it, if you can) and install Linux.

Windows is still the big dog on the OS block. Almost any software worth running has a windows version. Windows pees on the rug and humps the furniture because it is spoiled. It has been almost exclusively targeted by a generation of hackers - and why it remains the best OS on the market.

I use Mathematica...

PC for me

Just so much better at power computing. I guess only benefits of mac are that they look very nice, and that they er, they... Yeah so they look nice. But there are lots of PCs that look nice, for example the Dell Vostro V130 if you want looks (too weak at programs for me) or if you want the works then how about ASUS ROG G73JH or G53JH. Very very nice indeed.

I guess its just a matter of opinion.

<pedantry>
A Mac is a PC (Personal Computer) :wink:
</pedantry>

I'd go for a Windows-based laptop and dual-boot with something like Ubuntu. If you get an Intel processor, if you wanted you could always make a Hackintosh.

jhae2.718 said:
<pedantry>
A Mac is a PC (Personal Computer) :wink:
</pedantry>

Always gets me too.

I notice the new Windows adverts have started trying to coin the phrase "PC".
I'd go for a Windows-based laptop and dual-boot with something like Ubuntu. If you get an Intel processor, if you wanted you could always make a Hackintosh.

I'd do the same, but with one small change.

Linux only, run windows through virtual box. Mine handles it perfectly well so that's where my recommendation goes.

JaredJames said:
Linux only, run windows through virtual box. Mine handles it perfectly well so that's where my recommendation goes.

I prefer it this way too, but I find you need to slowly ease people away from the dark side of the source.

Edit: we need a PF LUG.

Last edited:
Do you guys think Apple will do the Ipod Touch deal this year?

What iPod Touch deal?

Buy a Mac and they give you an Ipod Touch for free. I think they did it two summers ago

Related to Why Mathematicians use Mac over PC?

1. Why do mathematicians prefer Mac over PC?

There are several reasons why mathematicians tend to choose Mac over PC. One reason is that Macs are known for their stability and reliability, which is important for running complex mathematical software. Additionally, Macs have a user-friendly interface and a built-in terminal, making it easier for mathematicians to write and run code. Macs also have a longer lifespan and are less prone to viruses, making them a more cost-effective choice for long-term use.

2. Are there any specific mathematical software that are only available on Mac?

While there are mathematical software that are compatible with both Mac and PC, there are some programs that are only available on Mac. One example is Maple, a popular software for symbolic and numeric computation. Another example is Mathematica, a software used for advanced mathematical computations and data analysis. Both of these programs are widely used by mathematicians and are only available on Mac.

3. Do Macs have better performance for mathematical calculations?

In terms of raw performance, there is no significant difference between Macs and PCs for mathematical calculations. However, Macs are known for their efficient use of resources, which can result in faster processing times for certain tasks. Additionally, Macs have a more stable and consistent performance, which is important for complex mathematical calculations that require precision and accuracy.

4. Can Macs handle large datasets and complex simulations?

Yes, Macs are capable of handling large datasets and complex simulations. Macs have powerful processors and high-performance graphics cards, making them suitable for data-intensive tasks. Moreover, with the ability to upgrade hardware components, Macs can be customized to meet the specific needs of mathematicians and researchers working with large datasets or complex simulations.

5. Are there any disadvantages to using Mac for mathematical work?

One potential disadvantage of using Mac for mathematical work is the compatibility with certain software. While there are many programs that are compatible with both Mac and PC, there may be some specialized software that is only available on PC. Additionally, Macs can be more expensive compared to PCs, which may be a barrier for some mathematicians. However, the overall stability, performance, and user-friendly interface of Macs make them a popular choice among mathematicians.