Why slip is more in low HP induction motor?

In summary: Hp and 5 HP motors, i read that 1/4HP motor has high slip than 5HP motor because 1/4HP motor has greater rotor winding resistance than 5HP...so efficiency is low for lower HP motors and high for higher HP motor...my query is (1)why do 1/4HP has higher winding resistance than 5HP, is it so for economical constraint??There are many reasons that lower power motors are generally less efficient. Motors < 1 HP tend to be single phase or split phase. Higher power motors will be three phase which are inherently more efficient (more
srinaath
am doing a comparative study of induction motors (both single and three phase) based on cost, size, efficiency,etc... while analyzing 1/4Hp and 5 HP motors, i read that 1/4HP motor has high slip than 5HP motor because 1/4HP motor has greater rotor winding resistance than 5HP...so efficiency is low for lower HP motors and high for higher HP motor...my query is (1)why do 1/4HP has higher winding resistance than 5HP, is it so for economical constraint??
(2) 3600rpm motor is more efficicnt than 1200rpm motor, why and how? (is it because 1200rpm requires more poles than 3600rpm, so there will be increase in size and conductors used which increases the reactive current ?)

Engineering news on Phys.org
srinaath said:
am doing a comparative study of induction motors (both single and three phase) based on cost, size, efficiency,etc... while analyzing 1/4Hp and 5 HP motors, i read that 1/4HP motor has high slip than 5HP motor because 1/4HP motor has greater rotor winding resistance than 5HP...so efficiency is low for lower HP motors and high for higher HP motor...my query is (1)why do 1/4HP has higher winding resistance than 5HP, is it so for economical constraint??
I expect that there are many reasons that lower power motors are generally less efficient. Motors < 1 HP tend to be single phase or split phase. Higher power motors will be three phase which are inherently more efficient (more average torque with less current because of the rotating field, so less I^2R heating losses).
(2) 3600rpm motor is more efficicnt than 1200rpm motor, why and how? (is it because 1200rpm requires more poles than 3600rpm, so there will be increase in size and conductors used which increases the reactive current ?)
Since the power of a motor is the product of torque and speed (F x rω) motors of the same power require greater torque with slower speed. The greater torque requires greater current which results in greater heat losses. Greater torque also requires greater slippage.

AM

1. Why does slip occur in low HP induction motors?

Slip occurs in induction motors because of the difference between the synchronous speed of the rotating magnetic field and the actual speed of the rotor. This difference is known as the slip and is necessary for the motor to generate torque.

2. How does low horsepower affect slip in induction motors?

Low horsepower motors have a lower starting torque and therefore require a higher slip to generate enough torque to start the motor. This means that slip is more significant in low horsepower induction motors compared to high horsepower ones.

3. What are the consequences of high slip in low HP induction motors?

High slip in low horsepower induction motors can lead to decreased efficiency and performance. It can also cause the motor to overheat and potentially lead to motor failure if not addressed.

4. Can slip be reduced in low HP induction motors?

Yes, slip can be reduced in low horsepower induction motors by using a higher number of poles in the stator windings or by using a variable frequency drive. This reduces the difference between the synchronous speed and the rotor speed, resulting in lower slip.

5. How does the load affect slip in low HP induction motors?

The load placed on the motor can affect the slip by either increasing or decreasing it. A higher load can increase the slip, while a lower load can decrease it. This is because the load affects the speed of the rotor and therefore the difference between the synchronous speed and the rotor speed.