Why some ways of increasing pulse increase BP and other ways decrease BP?

In summary, the conversation discusses the effects of exercise and anger on blood pressure. It is noted that exercise can decrease blood pressure by increasing heart rate, while anger can increase heart rate but may not have the same effect on blood pressure due to the release of adrenaline. It is advised to work with a physician and follow guidelines for managing hypertension.
fourthindiana
TL;DR Summary
I've read in books and on the internet that being frequently angry can increase blood pressure. My physician told me that any exercise that will increase my heart rate will decrease my blood pressure. When I am angry, I believe my heart rate increases. Why do some ways of increasing my heart rate increase my blood pressure and other ways of increasing my heart rate decrease my blood pressure?
I have high blood pressure. My physician told me that any exercise that increases my heart rate will decrease my blood pressure.

When I get angry, my heart rate increases.

If increasing one's heart rate by exercise will decrease my blood pressure, it seems logical for me to think that when my heart rate increases because I am angry, the increase in my heart rate due to my anger would lower my blood pressure. But I have read in books and on the internet that being frequently angry can increase one's blood pressure.

Since increasing one's heart rate by exercise lowers a person's blood pressure, why doesn't the increase in heart rate due to anger help lower a person's blood pressure?

Biology news on Phys.org
The short answer to your question is that anger typically is accompanied by the release of adrenaline into your system, where exercise usually would not.

Thread is closed for a bit to see if we can answer your questions within the PF rules (no diagnoses or medical advice, etc.).

Likes jim mcnamara
Since we cannot give medical advice to you here on the PF, this thread will need to stay closed.

Please do keep working with your doctor on your hypertension issues. He/she is the best source of information and diagnostic testing. In addition, you can read about hypertension management at a number of good websites:

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases...ure/in-depth/high-blood-pressure/art-20046974
https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/high-blood-pressure/diagnosis-treatment/drc-20373417
https://www.acc.org/latest-in-cardi...7-guideline-for-high-blood-pressure-in-adults
https://www.heart.org/en/health-top...es-you-can-make-to-manage-high-blood-pressure

1. Why does exercise increase blood pressure?

Exercise increases blood pressure because it causes the heart to beat faster and harder, pumping more blood through the body. This increase in cardiac output leads to a temporary rise in blood pressure.

2. How does stress affect blood pressure?

Stress can cause a temporary increase in blood pressure due to the release of stress hormones, such as adrenaline, which can cause the heart to beat faster and constrict blood vessels. Chronic stress can also lead to long-term high blood pressure.

3. Why do some medications increase blood pressure?

Some medications, such as birth control pills, decongestants, and certain antidepressants, can increase blood pressure by constricting blood vessels or causing the body to retain water and sodium. It is important to discuss potential side effects of medications with a doctor.

4. How does smoking affect blood pressure?

Smoking can increase blood pressure by constricting blood vessels and causing the heart to beat faster. It can also damage the lining of the arteries, making them less flexible and more prone to plaque buildup, which can lead to high blood pressure.

5. Why do some relaxation techniques lower blood pressure?

Relaxation techniques, such as deep breathing, meditation, and yoga, can lower blood pressure by reducing stress and promoting relaxation. These techniques can help decrease the release of stress hormones and improve blood flow, leading to a decrease in blood pressure.