Why would limiting reactant not be necessary to determine?

• Thread starter Greywolfe1982
  • Start date
In summary, it seems that determining the limiting reactant in each of the steps would be necessary in order to calculate the final percent recovery for a metathesis reaction.
Greywolfe1982

Homework Statement

I did a lab with a series of reactions involving copper, going from a copper nitrate solution to pure copper. One of the questions for the lab asks why it isn't necessary to determine the limiting reactant in each of the reactions to calculate final percent recovery.

The Attempt at a Solution

I really can't wrap my head around why it wouldn't be necessary to ensure that copper is the limiting reactant. If the copper was in excess, would the reaction not stop when the other reactant is used up, and you're left with some copper in form A and the remaining copper in form B, which would lower the amount of copper being carried through the experiments?

Physics news on Phys.org
What other reactant is there? Electrons?

Cu+2 + 2e- ------> Cus

I guess in each case other reactant was in excess? Or there was simply no other reactant?

chemisttree said:
What other reactant is there? Electrons?

Cu+2 + 2e- ------> Cus

Mostly metathesis reactions (Cu(NO3)2+2NaOH --> 2NaNO3+Cu(OH)2), one that was adding heat (Cu(OH)2 --> CuO+H20). The latter I could see there being no need to calculate the limiting reactant of course, but with the first equation it seems like you could still use a minimal amount of NaOH and not cause the copper to totally react.

Just a moment. You know initial amount, and you know final amount, isn't it? You are asked to calculate final percent recovery. Does it matter what happens in between?

Borek said:
Just a moment. You know initial amount, and you know final amount, isn't it? You are asked to calculate final percent recovery. Does it matter what happens in between?

Hmm...this made me change my thinking about the question a bit. I'll read the question directly as it's worded in the lab:

Why is it not necessary to determine the limiting reactant in each of the steps in the series of reactions in order to calculate the final percent recovery?

After I read your post and reread the question, I'm thinking that I understand the question better now. It doesn't make the statement that limiting reactants aren't necessary to consider for any of the equations, but rather that we can assume the copper compound is the limiting reagent...I think. If so, then the answer would simply be because of the fact that the copper is always limiting, and the maximum amount of copper possible will be carried through each reaction. Does this seem like the right answer?

Related to Why would limiting reactant not be necessary to determine?

1. Why is limiting reactant not always necessary to determine in a chemical reaction?

Limiting reactant is not always necessary to determine because some reactions may have equal amounts of each reactant, making both reactants equally limiting. In addition, some reactions may have an excess of one reactant, making it the only limiting reactant.

2. Can a reaction proceed without a limiting reactant?

Yes, a reaction can still proceed without a limiting reactant. However, the products formed will not be in the ideal or expected proportions, as the limiting reactant helps determine the amount of product formed.

3. What factors can affect the determination of a limiting reactant in a reaction?

The amount of each reactant, the stoichiometric ratio of the reactants, and the reaction conditions (such as temperature and pressure) can all affect the determination of a limiting reactant in a reaction.

4. How does the concept of limiting reactant relate to the Law of Conservation of Mass?

The concept of limiting reactant relates to the Law of Conservation of Mass because it ensures that the total mass of reactants is equal to the total mass of products. This means that no atoms are lost or gained during a reaction, only rearranged.

5. Are there any exceptions to using the limiting reactant concept in determining product yield?

Yes, there are exceptions to using the limiting reactant concept. In some reactions, the products may have a different stoichiometric ratio than the reactants, making it difficult to determine the limiting reactant. In addition, side reactions or impurities in the reactants can also affect the determination of the limiting reactant.