Will a Slayer Exciter Damage an Incandescent Flashlight?

In summary, if an incandescent flashlight is bought near a Slayer Excitor, it is possible that the flashlight bulb could get damaged due to the plasma formation in the bulb caused by the strong electric field. However, this is not a definite outcome and may not happen, especially if the flashlight is not switched on. Some experimentation has shown that the inert gas in the bulb, such as argon or krypton, may protect the filament from damage. Ultimately, it is recommended to try the experiment and report any findings.
hari krishna parigi
what happens if incandescent flashlight is bought near to slayer excitor ? Will the flashlight bulb gets damaged ?

Engineering news on Phys.org
in some videos and instructables i saw plasma in the bulbs. i think it could damage bulb filament when we switch on flashlight near slayer excitor.

i think it could damage bulb filament when we switch on flashlight near slayer excitor.
OK. That is an opinion. Can you support that opinion with science? (Why do you think you'd have to switch the flashlight on?)

Note:
1. "could damage" (post #3) and "will damage" (your actual question in post #1) are different.
2. Enough of an electric field will damage anything... usually by sparks/lightning striking it... so what are the parameters being considered? Perhaps an induced PD across the filament heating it up? A power surge in the power supply? Or the inert gas in the bulb getting excited to incandescence or even to a palsma?

The normal operating potentials of the SE's on YouTube don't seem to be all that high.
Full-size tesla coil labs are lit by incandescent bulbs iirc.
My answer is "maybe, probably not". So ... could the bulb get damaged? Yes is could ... just probably not... especially inside a flashlight.

Can you link to a video with incandescent bulbs? The one's I've seen are fluorescents.

How the plasma is formed in that bulbs ? will plasma decreases life of tungsten filament when we power that bulb and place near slayer excitor ?

hari krishna parigi said:
How the plasma is formed in that bulbs ? will plasma decreases life of tungsten filament when we power that bulb and place near slayer excitor ?
I haven't viewed the videos, but the image appears to show the ionizing of rarified gas surrounding metallic/conductive components inside the bulb. This would be expected from immersion in a strong electric field. It appears harmless enough to the bulb.

I remember as a teenager experimenting with a car ignition coil, and holding a light bulb near it hoping to see the inert gas glow purplish. As a precaution, I held the bulb gingerly by the very tip of the glass envelope to maximize intervening insulation. Before I had a chance to see any inner glow, I received a few good jolts and let go of the bulb and it smashed on the shed floor.

I moved onto less hazardous areas of experimentation.

The effect starts at 1:45 ... it looks like a mini plasma discharge ball with purpley-blue arcs from the filament to the glass.
These bulbs usually contain argon - maybe nitrogen or krypton. Argon and Nitrogen discharges usually look more purple than that so I'm leaning towards Krypton ... the glow is very small so I could be mistaken.

Maybe heat from the discharge could shorten the filament life or the arcs could provide a path for electrons to flow to and from the filament but getting hot with a flow of current is what these bulbs are designed to withstand so I don't see anything that would indicate an immediate effect when a current is added. The whole point of the Krypton is to protect the filament after all.

Why not try it? You can report your findings here. Worst case you fry an inexpensive bulb.

BoB

1. Will a Slayer Exciter damage my incandescent flashlight?

There is a possibility that a Slayer Exciter can damage an incandescent flashlight if the voltage and current produced by the circuit are too high. It is important to use caution and proper safety measures when experimenting with a Slayer Exciter.

2. How can I prevent my incandescent flashlight from being damaged by a Slayer Exciter?

To prevent damage to your incandescent flashlight, you can use a diode in the circuit to regulate the current and protect the flashlight from high voltage spikes. You can also use a resistor to limit the current and prevent overheating.

3. Will using a Slayer Exciter void the warranty of my incandescent flashlight?

Using a Slayer Exciter on your incandescent flashlight may void the warranty, as it involves modifying the original circuit and potentially damaging the flashlight. It is important to read the warranty terms and conditions before experimenting with a Slayer Exciter.

4. Can I use a Slayer Exciter to power my incandescent flashlight?

While it is possible to use a Slayer Exciter to power an incandescent flashlight, it is not recommended. The voltage and current produced by the circuit may not be enough to provide sufficient power to the flashlight, and it may also damage the flashlight in the process.

5. Are there any safety precautions I should take when using a Slayer Exciter with my incandescent flashlight?

Yes, there are several safety precautions you should take when using a Slayer Exciter with your incandescent flashlight. These include wearing protective gear, using a current and voltage regulator, and ensuring proper insulation and grounding of the circuit. It is important to follow proper safety guidelines to prevent any potential hazards.