Will not taking Communications or electromagnetics hurt me as an EE?

In summary, the conversation focuses on the choice of branching off into computer or traditional EE classes at college. The speaker expresses a liking for E&M physics but a dislike for signals and systems course. They are hesitant to take electromagnetics due to the inclusion of communications, which has a lot of signals and systems math. The question is raised whether missing out on these two courses will have a negative impact on the speaker's future as an EE. The speaker also shares their positive experience with signals and systems, suggesting it may be worth giving another chance.
SamAca1-
At my college we can choose to branch off and focus on computers or more traditional EE classes. I really like E&M physics, but hated my signals and systems course. I'd like to take electromagnetics, but that means I would have to take communcations as well (which I hear has a lot of signals and systems math in it). Will missing out on these two courses hurt me as an EE?

Physics news on Phys.org
I loved signals and systems (my other favorite being E and M, before I dropped the EE major), but that's just me. Maybe it was the textbook/prof. Might be worth another chance.

1. Will not taking communications or electromagnetics courses limit my job opportunities as an EE?

It may limit your job opportunities in certain industries or roles, but there are still plenty of opportunities for EE graduates without a background in communications or electromagnetics. Many companies value a diverse skill set and are willing to train employees in specific areas.

2. Can I still be successful as an EE without knowledge in communications or electromagnetics?

Yes, success as an EE is not solely dependent on knowledge in communications or electromagnetics. There are many other aspects of electrical engineering, such as circuit design, power systems, and control systems, that you can specialize in and be successful in your career.

3. Will not taking communications or electromagnetics courses affect my understanding of other EE concepts?

It may affect your understanding of certain concepts that are directly related to communications or electromagnetics, but overall, the fundamentals of electrical engineering are interconnected and you can still develop a strong foundation in other areas.

4. Are there any alternative ways to learn about communications or electromagnetics if I didn't take courses in college?

Yes, there are many online resources, books, and tutorials available that can help you learn about communications and electromagnetics. You can also consider taking continuing education courses or attending workshops and conferences to expand your knowledge in these areas.

5. Will not taking communications or electromagnetics courses affect my ability to pursue a graduate degree in electrical engineering?

It may limit your options for specific research topics or programs, but it is not a determining factor for pursuing a graduate degree in electrical engineering. Admissions committees look at a variety of factors, including your overall academic performance and potential for research. Additionally, you can always take additional courses or conduct independent study to gain knowledge in these areas before applying to graduate school.