Will there be a reaction at the hinge B in this question?

In summary, the conversation discusses solving a question by disregarding the reaction at the hinge B and achieving the correct answer. The reason for this is because half the weight of AB is on B, which can be determined by using six scalar unknowns and three equations of statics for each rod. The role of the reaction at B is questioned and it is suggested to post the question with an attempt at a solution in a homework forum.
Asad Raza
I have solved this question by completely disregarding the reaction at the hinge B. And surprisingly, answer turns out to be correct. Why is that so?

Attachments

• FM.png
    FM.png
    15.5 KB · Views: 389
Physics news on Phys.org
Half the weight of AB is on B (AB doesn't rotate or move) and that gives you the ##13\over2##.

For the second part I'm too lazy to work it out (you did that already); if you post your work, I (or someone else) may comment (e.g: "it doesn't matter" or "it's a numerical coincidence") :smile:

How do we know that half of AB's weight is on B?

You have 6 scalar unknowns: two components of each reaction force at the points A,B,C. You also have three equations of statics for each rod. I wish you good luck

zwierz said:
You have 6 scalar unknowns: two components of each reaction force at the points A,B,C. You also have three equations of statics for each rod. I wish you good luck
But Reaction at B isn't playing a role. Just explain it to me that whether is that a coincidence or there's some solid logic behind?

How can I explain if you already know what plays role here and what does not? :)

This should be posted in a homework forum, with an attempt at a solution.

Thread closed.

Related to Will there be a reaction at the hinge B in this question?

1. What is a reaction at the hinge B?

A reaction at the hinge B refers to the force or movement exerted on the hinge B in response to an external force or movement acting on the system.

2. How do you determine if there will be a reaction at the hinge B?

To determine if there will be a reaction at the hinge B, you need to analyze the forces and movements acting on the system. If there is an external force or movement acting on the system, there will likely be a reaction at the hinge B.

3. What factors affect the magnitude of the reaction at the hinge B?

The magnitude of the reaction at the hinge B is affected by the magnitude and direction of the external force or movement, as well as the properties of the system such as its mass and geometry.

4. Can the reaction at the hinge B be zero?

Yes, the reaction at the hinge B can be zero if the external forces and movements acting on the system are balanced and the system is in equilibrium.

5. How do you calculate the reaction at the hinge B?

The reaction at the hinge B can be calculated by using Newton's laws of motion and applying the principles of equilibrium. This involves analyzing the different forces and moments acting on the system and setting them equal to each other to determine the reaction at the hinge B.