Windows 10 HP Turns off at Random

In summary: According to this article, the most likely cause of the shutdowns is a failing power supply. You might also want to try cleaning the RAM and the power supply contacts.
WWGD
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Hi All,
I was using my Win10 HP for standard surfing ; nothing that would require intensive processing and it just turned off at random, for no apparent reason. I was unable to turn it on for a few minutes ( no response when pressing the power switch) , after which it turned on , did the POST and everything went down to normal. This happened 3 times in a period of some 2 hours. Any ideas? I don't know enough to go through the thousands of options in event viewer. I do have a copy of MSInfo32, attached.Any Ideas? Will go to sleep soon, and will followup tomorrow morning. Thanks for any suggestions.

Attachments

• MsInfo3291218.txt
    7.8 KB · Views: 374
Computer science news on Phys.org
Sounds like your computer is overheating. Try raising it up from the surface it's on to get more air circulation for the heat dump (my HP laptop has no fan so I'm assuming yours also may not)

Likes Klystron, davenn and WWGD
WWGD said:
I don't know enough to go through the thousands of options in event viewer.
You can tell the Event Viewer to sort by date and time (I think that is the default), that makes it (relatively) easy to find what happened.

@phinds suggestion seems the most likely though.

Likes WWGD and anorlunda
Check cpu fan? Although some have a warning alarm. Did the motherboard make an beeps?

Likes WWGD
Besides heat buildup, the root cause may be dust in your case. A couple of years ago my computer kept kicking itself off of my network even though I was hardwired. Culprit was dust (seems I was remodeling my house and the dust and dirt from that was shorting out my network card). Worth a can of air to see...

Likes WWGD
Good point. Dust can also be the cause of heat buildup.

Likes WWGD
Thanks all again. Computer seems to be back to normal without my having done anything. Will keep you posted if anything special happens.

In my experience, faults that come and go for no apparent reason are usually due to a faulty RAM (die fault, connector fault etc.).

First line check: Try pushing hard down on the RAMs to make sure they are seated properly.
Second line try: Buy a new RAM set and exchange.

Likes WWGD
Or just unplug and replug the RAM a few times; cleans oxidation and contamination off the contacts.

Likes davenn
Spontaneous shutdowns can also be a symptom of a failing power supply.

Likes davenn, Tom.G and WWGD

1. Why does my HP laptop running Windows 10 turn off randomly?

There are several potential reasons for this issue. It could be due to overheating, a faulty battery, or a software or hardware malfunction. It is recommended to check the laptop's temperature, update all drivers and software, and run a diagnostic test to determine the cause.

2. How can I prevent my HP laptop from turning off randomly?

To prevent your laptop from turning off randomly, make sure it is not overheating by keeping it in a well-ventilated area and regularly cleaning the vents. Also, ensure that all drivers and software are up to date, and consider replacing the battery if it is old or faulty.

3. Is it safe to use my HP laptop after it turns off randomly?

If your laptop turns off randomly, it is recommended to troubleshoot the issue and fix the underlying cause before using it again. Continuing to use the laptop without addressing the problem could potentially damage the hardware or cause data loss.

4. Can a virus cause my HP laptop to turn off randomly?

Yes, a virus or malware infection can cause your laptop to turn off randomly. It is essential to run a full virus scan and remove any detected threats. Additionally, make sure to regularly update your antivirus software to prevent future infections.

5. Do I need to replace my HP laptop if it keeps turning off randomly?

Not necessarily. Before considering a replacement, it is recommended to troubleshoot and fix the issue. If the problem persists, it is best to consult a professional technician to determine if the laptop can be repaired or if it needs to be replaced.