Wireless routers vs. microwave ovens

In summary: Yes, absorption and attenuation are related. Attenuation refers to the decrease in amplitude or intensity of a wave as it travels through a medium, which can be caused by factors such as absorption, scattering, or reflection. So, a material that has a high absorption coefficient will also have a high attenuation coefficient, meaning it will absorb more of the wave's energy and decrease its amplitude more quickly.
@kevinisfrom this is a complicated topic and you have to get the basics first before you can draw the sort of conclusions you have been doing.
it’s easy to be misled about things when you read glib statements on line. It’s not surprising that EE is such an intense course compared with many others.
You need to read around more, before you try to make too many unjustified ‘connections’ between the isolated correct bits of information that you have.

Engineering news on Phys.org
kevinisfrom said:
How would the microwave change after it is absorbed in a material? I was thinking that the amplitude would be attenuated and that's where the transfer of energy occurs, but assuming a perfect dielectric, can you have absorption but no attenuation?

I know it's a little late, but I came across a very nice question about microwave ovens https://www.ipho2019.org.il/wp-content/uploads/2019/07/Theory-2-Question.pdf (and https://www.ipho2019.org.il/wp-content/uploads/2019/07/Theory-2-Solution.pdf). Part B deals with what I think you are interested in, and provides a simplified model for looking at dielectric absorption of microwave radiation at different depths (specifically, treating the water as having an average dipole moment per unit volume). Perhaps you will find it interesting :smile:

kevinisfrom said:
Isn't this contrary to berkeman's post?
We are saying the same thing. Energy is conserved so you cannot get any extra or any less, overall. If there is any resistive loss then the dissipated energy has to be included in the total/