Wordle Lovers - Play the NYT Daily Game

• Thread starter fresh_42
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Game
In summary, the player played the New York Times daily word game and found that they had a higher fail rate in playing against Spanish-speaking humans. They also mentioned that the game is similar to a board game they remember from their childhood.
  • #3,921
Wordle 1,029 5/6

⬜⬜⬜🟦🟦
🟧⬜⬜🟧⬜
🟧⬜🟧🟧⬜
🟧⬜🟧🟧🟦
🟧🟧🟧🟧🟧

Physics news on Phys.org
  • #3,922
jack action said:
Wordle 1,028 5/6

πŸŸ¨β¬›β¬›β¬›β¬›
β¬›β¬›β¬›πŸŸ©β¬›
β¬›β¬›β¬›β¬›πŸŸ©
β¬›πŸŸ¨β¬›πŸŸ¨β¬›
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

You use the same first guess as I do but I'm really curious about why you would choose that word as a second guess.

To my count, the first word left 749 possibilities. If your second guess wasn't right at all, it would have left you with 306 words, which is a lot. If my second guess CLONS wouldn't have been right at all, I would have been left with 48 words. In this case, I had only 15 possibilities left. Personally, I don't think too much and used the easy method of eliminating the most popular letters until I found at least 4 of them before guessing - unless I'm very lucky and a few fall into their right place.

Why choose such a word? The letters WYH wouldn't give you much information if they weren't in the word we are looking for.

This is not "a tiny smidge" of luck, it's "a hole-in-one on a windy day" kind of luck!
Keep in mind that English is my second language and I don't really keep score of which words are used. So there's a lot of guessing going on here. I suspect that explains a lot. Sometimes though, no hits with the first word contains almost as much information as 3-4. As I wrote it was a pretty lucky shot! :P

As you almost wrote: ludicrously lucky.

Likes jack action
  • #3,923
Wordle 1,030 6/6*

πŸŸ¨β¬›β¬›β¬›β¬›
β¬›β¬›πŸŸ©β¬›β¬›
β¬›β¬›πŸŸ©πŸŸ¨β¬›
β¬›πŸŸ©πŸŸ©β¬›β¬›
β¬›πŸŸ©πŸŸ©β¬›β¬›
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

See? Here I felt pretty darn stupid when it finally dawned on me. I'm pretty sure that's not a problem a native speaker would have. And that's not counting the obvious blunders I made, reusing letters, even though I have "hardmode" turned on.

I even tried to cheat but that didn't even help! That's pretty pathetic. I kinda panicked there at the end. We have a saying over here:

"HΓΈjt at flyve, dybt at falde".

(Almost) literally: "Flying high, falling far."

• #3,924
Wordle 1,030 3/6

β¬›β¬›πŸŸ¨β¬›β¬›
πŸŸ¨πŸŸ¨πŸŸ¨πŸŸ¨β¬›
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

• #3,926
Wordle 1,030 4/6

⬜⬜⬜⬜⬜
⬜⬜⬜🟦🟦
🟦🟦🟦🟦⬜
🟧🟧🟧🟧🟧

• #3,927
Wordle 1,030 4/6

⬜🟧⬜⬜⬜
⬜⬜⬜⬜⬜
🟧🟧🟧⬜⬜
🟧🟧🟧🟧🟧

• #3,928
Wordle 1,030 3/6

πŸŸ©πŸŸ©β¬›β¬›β¬›
πŸŸ©πŸŸ©πŸŸ©β¬›β¬›
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

I just let my gut pick my starting word, usually different every day, whatever pops into my head. This one was lucky! I think the answer today would have been a hard one without the two-letter headstart I got.

• #3,929
Wordle 1 031 3/6

⬜⬜🟩⬜⬜
⬜🟨⬜🟨⬜
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Ah, symmetry!

Last edited:
  • #3,930
Wordle 1,031 3/6

β¬›β¬›πŸŸ©β¬›πŸŸ¨
β¬›β¬›πŸŸ©πŸŸ¨β¬›
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

• #3,931
Wordle 1,031 4/6

⬜⬜⬜⬜🟦
⬜🟦🟦⬜⬜
🟦⬜⬜🟦⬜
🟧🟧🟧🟧🟧

• #3,932
Wordle 1,031 3/6

⬛⬛⬛⬛⬛
β¬›β¬›πŸŸ©β¬›β¬›
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Orodruin said:
Ah, symmetry!
indeed!

• #3,934
Wordle 1,031 4/6

⬜⬜⬜⬜🟦
⬜🟦⬜🟦⬜
⬜🟦🟦⬜⬜
🟧🟧🟧🟧🟧

• #3,935
Wordle 1,032 6/6

πŸŸ©β¬›β¬›β¬›β¬›
πŸŸ©β¬›β¬›β¬›β¬›
πŸŸ©πŸŸ©πŸŸ©πŸŸ¨β¬›
πŸŸ©πŸŸ©πŸŸ©β¬›πŸŸ©
πŸŸ©πŸŸ©πŸŸ©β¬›πŸŸ©
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

• #3,937
Wordle 1 032 4/6

🟩🟨⬜⬜⬜
⬜⬜⬜⬜⬜
🟩⬜🟩⬜⬜
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

• #3,938
Wordle 1,032 4/6

🟦⬜⬜🟦⬜
⬜🟦🟦⬜🟦
🟧⬜🟧🟧⬜
🟧🟧🟧🟧🟧

• #3,939
Wordle 1,032 4/6

🟧⬜🟧⬜⬜
⬜🟧⬜⬜⬜
🟧🟧🟧⬜🟧
🟧🟧🟧🟧🟧

• #3,940
Wordle 1,032 4/6

πŸŸ©πŸŸ©β¬›β¬›β¬›
πŸŸ©πŸŸ©πŸŸ©β¬›β¬›
⬛⬛⬛⬛⬛ info gathering
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

• #3,941
Wordle 1 033 4/6

⬜⬜⬜⬜⬜
⬜🟩⬜🟨⬜
🟨🟩⬜🟩🟨
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Drat! That was the first word that popped into my mind after two guesses! After some thinking I decided to go for another third guess … πŸ€¦β€β™‚οΈ

• #3,942
Wordle 1,033 3/6

β¬›β¬›β¬›πŸŸ¨β¬›
β¬›β¬›πŸŸ¨β¬›πŸŸ¨
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

• #3,944
Why does everybody have the comma in the Wordle number while I do not? Is it regional based on the client or platform based? (I am using an iPhone with Safari browser from Sweden)
Orodruin said:
Wordle 1 033
OmCheeto said:
Wordle 1,033
jack action said:
Wordle 1,033

• #3,945
Last edited:
  • #3,946
Orodruin said:
Why does everybody have the comma in the Wordle number while I do not? Is it regional based on the client or platform based? (I am using an iPhone with Safari browser from Sweden)
Good question. I'd expect the English countries to use a period.

• #3,947
Orodruin said:
Why does everybody have the comma in the Wordle number while I do not?
BIPM (IIRC the source correctly) recommends the use of a space rather than a comma (used in North America) or a period (used in Europe) to avoid confusion. That may be the reason it was developed that way in the software.

• #3,948
Mister T said:
BIPM (IIRC the source correctly) recommends the use of a space rather than a comma (used in North America) or a period (used in Europe) to avoid confusion. That may be the reason it was developed that way in the software.
Oh yeah. I got that backwards didn't I?

Now I'm confused. Never mind.

• #3,949
Orodruin said:
After some thinking I decided to go for another third guess … πŸ€¦β€β™‚οΈ
Also known as a fourth guess? :woot:

• #3,950
sbrothy said:
Oh yeah. I got that backwards didn't I?

Now I'm confused. Never mind.
I'm not sure if the UK uses the period or the comma as the separator.

• #3,951
Mister T said:
My point was that the software seems to be using a comma for everyone except me ... unless everybody else inserts a comma by hand.

• #3,952
Mister T said:
Also known as a fourth guess? :woot:
Nah, what would have been my third guess had I followed my gut feeling was the correct. Instead I entered a different word for my third guess and only then entered what I thought of first as the fourth guess.

• #3,953
Wordle 1,033 3/6

πŸŸ©β¬›β¬›β¬›πŸŸ©
πŸŸ©πŸŸ©πŸŸ©β¬›πŸŸ©
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Orodruin said:
Drat! That was the first word that popped into my mind after two guesses! After some thinking I decided to go for another third guess … πŸ€¦β€β™‚οΈ
I had the same issue, only after my first guess. So I had two second guesses, lol

• #3,954
Wordle 1,033 3/6

⬜⬜⬜🟦🟧
⬜⬜⬜🟦⬜
🟧🟧🟧🟧🟧

• #3,955
gmax137 said:
So I had two second guesses, lol
I guess we should not …. Second guess … ourselves

Likes gmax137