Writing correct sign of quantities

Rhdjfgjgj
Homework Statement
My doubt is regarding the signs for the given picture .
Here I didn't understand how my sir wrote dy/dt=vi-3vo.
I felt I should have been
3vo -vi because this vector is opposite to the velocity vector of the object . This is a question from geometrical optics.
Relevant Equations
No equations needed
IMG_20231112_203241.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi,

All very interesting, but what's this all about ? What is the complete problem statement ?
Which way is positive ?

##\ ##

Likes topsquark and e_jane
Rhdjfgjgj said:
Here I didn't understand how my sir wrote dy/dt=vi-3vo.
I felt I should have been
3vo -vi because this vector is opposite to the velocity vector of the object .
Respect to the ground, which value of velocity is greater, the velocity of the lens or mirror (3Vo) or the velocity of the image projected by it (Vi)?

Which subtraction gives a positive dy/dt?

Note that distance y grows positive (to the right) from the mirror or lens, while distance x grows positive (to the left) from the mirror or lens.

My sir taught us to find velocity of image when mirror is at rest. So we used relative motion ka concept. Wrt to mirror, object is moving with 4vo away from the mirror along normal. He assumed that the image is formed at i and assumed that it's moving with vi as shown .

He assumed object distance as x and image distance as y.
Now just see the expression of dx/dt and dy/dt . The expression is written wrt mirror
Since vi is opposite of vo dy/dt has to be -(vi-3vo) . Like almost all these question types he used same thing only .
vi is velocity of image wrt ground.
Lnewqban said:
Respect to the ground, which value of velocity is greater, the velocity of the lens or mirror (3Vo) or the velocity of the image projected by it (Vi)?

Which subtraction gives a positive dy/dt?

Note that distance y grows positive (to the right) from the mirror or lens, while distance x grows positive (to the left) from the mirror or lens.
Since y is increasing vi must be grater than 3vo. And since he wrote dx/dt as 4vo I assume he must have taken the left direction as + for velocity.
BvU said:
Hi,

All very interesting, but what's this all about ? What is the complete problem statement ?
Which way is positive ?

##\ ##

Friends im waiting for your reply

In terms of relative velocities, you have ##\vec v_{IG} = \vec v_{IM} + \vec v_{MG}## where
\begin{align*}
\vec v_{IG} &= \text{velocity of the image with respect to the ground} = v_I \,\hat i \\
\vec v_{IM} &= \text{velocity of the image with respect to the mirror} = \frac{dy}{dt} \hat i\\
\vec v_{MG} &= \text{velocity of the mirror with respect to the ground} = 3v_o\,\hat i
\end{align*} If you solve that equation for ##dy/dt##, you get what your instructor wrote down.

More intuitively, if the image moves to the right (holding the mirror position fixed), ##y## increases, so ##dy/dt## and ##v_I## have the same sign. If the mirror moves to the right (with the image position fixed), it will cause ##y## to decrease, so ##3v_o## comes in with a negative sign.

Likes e_jane and Lnewqban
vela said:
In terms of relative velocities, you have ##\vec v_{IG} = \vec v_{IM} + \vec v_{MG}## where
\begin{align*}
\vec v_{IG} &= \text{velocity of the image with respect to the ground} = v_I \,\hat i \\
\vec v_{IM} &= \text{velocity of the image with respect to the mirror} = \frac{dy}{dt} \hat i\\
\vec v_{MG} &= \text{velocity of the mirror with respect to the ground} = 3v_o\,\hat i
\end{align*} If you solve that equation for ##dy/dt##, you get what your instructor wrote down.

More intuitively, if the image moves to the right (holding the mirror position fixed), ##y## increases, so ##dy/dt## and ##v_I## have the same sign. If the mirror moves to the right (with the image position fixed), it will cause ##y## to decrease, so ##3v_o## comes in with a negative sign.
Well, in that case vo(object velocity) should have been -4voi

It seems ##x## is a distance, not a position, and ##v_o## is a speed, not a velocity.

Likes SammyS

1. How do I ensure I am writing the correct sign for quantities in my scientific work?

When writing quantities in scientific work, it is important to pay attention to the sign conventions used in your field. Make sure to follow the established conventions for positive and negative signs for different types of quantities, such as vectors, charges, temperatures, etc.

2. What are some common mistakes to avoid when writing the sign of quantities?

One common mistake is forgetting to include the sign altogether, which can lead to incorrect interpretations of the data. Another mistake is using the wrong sign convention for a specific type of quantity, so always double-check the conventions used in your field.

3. Are there any resources available to help me learn the correct sign conventions for quantities?

Yes, there are many resources available online and in textbooks that provide guidance on the sign conventions for different types of quantities in various scientific disciplines. It is important to familiarize yourself with these conventions to ensure accurate and clear communication of your results.

4. How can I double-check that I have written the correct sign for quantities in my calculations?

One way to double-check your work is to review your calculations step by step and pay close attention to the signs of the quantities involved. You can also ask a colleague or mentor to review your work to provide feedback on the correctness of the signs used.

5. What should I do if I am unsure about the sign of a quantity in my scientific work?

If you are unsure about the sign of a quantity, it is best to consult with a more experienced colleague or refer to relevant resources to clarify the sign convention for that specific type of quantity. It is always better to seek clarification rather than risk introducing errors into your work.