Writing Formulas for Ionic Compounds

In summary, the homework statement is that O3+ should be O2-; two positive ions do not form an ionic bond.
tigerwoods99

Homework Statement

Of the following, which correctly shows an ion pair and the ionic compound the two ions form?

Homework Equations

a. Fe3+, O3+ = Fe2O3
b. Cr3+, I- = CrI
c. Cu2+, O2- = Cu2O2
d. Sn4+, N3- = Sn4N3

The Attempt at a Solution

a. Fe3+, O3+ = Fe2O3 Incorrect
b. Cr3+, I- = CrI Incorrect
c. Cu2+, O2- = Cu2O2 Correct
d. Sn4+, N3- = Sn4N3 Incorrect

I am just wondering if that is correct? Thanks everyone!

Physics news on Phys.org
The key to understand #2 is to evaluate how the charges of the ions and the number of 'species' relate in the compounds. You seem to have that. I'm just not too certain about your choice #C because my best guess is that you have 1 to 1 formula ratio for cuprous oxide in the symbolically stated compound (meaning, say CuO ). My guess could very well be wrong, but I have never seen a copper compound of oxide reported as Cu2O2

Ah ok, so then I guess A would be correct, correct?

tigerwoods99 said:
Ah ok, so then I guess A would be correct, correct?

How do you justify this? What is O+3?

Looks like.

Note - cuprous oxide (or copper(I) oxide) would be Cu2O, CuO is cupric (or copper (II)) oxide.

Borek said:
Looks like.

Note - cuprous oxide (or copper(I) oxide) would be Cu2O, CuO is cupric (or copper (II)) oxide.

I was slightly confused not thinking carefully enough.

All look incorrect to me.

a.) O3+ should be O2-; in addition, two positive ions do not form an ionic bond.
b.) Ionic compound should be CrI3 (one Cr3+ per three I-).
c.) Ionic compound should be CuO (one Cu2+ per one O2-).
d.) Ionic compound should be Sn3N4 (three Sn4+ per four N3-).

Given the trend of b-d giving typical ions but the incorrect ionic compound, I would guess that (a) is a typo. If (a) is changed to "Fe3+, O2- = Fe2O3," then that would be correct.

Related to Writing Formulas for Ionic Compounds

1. How do you determine the formula for an ionic compound?

The formula for an ionic compound is determined by balancing the charges of the cations and anions in the compound. The cation's charge becomes the subscript for the anion and vice versa. Criss-cross the charges to make subscripts and simplify if necessary.

2. What is the difference between a cation and an anion?

A cation is a positively charged ion, meaning it has lost one or more electrons. An anion is a negatively charged ion, meaning it has gained one or more electrons. Cations and anions come together to form ionic compounds.

3. Are there any rules for naming ionic compounds?

Yes, there are some general rules for naming ionic compounds. The cation is always named first, followed by the anion. The cation's name remains the same as the element, while the anion's name is changed to end in "-ide". Some elements have different charges, so their names will have Roman numerals in parentheses to indicate the charge.

4. Can you write a formula for an ionic compound with polyatomic ions?

Yes, the process for writing a formula for an ionic compound with polyatomic ions is the same as with monatomic ions. Simply balance the charges of the cation and anion, and criss-cross their charges to determine the subscripts. Just be sure to enclose the polyatomic ion in parentheses if more than one is needed in the compound.

5. How do you know when to use parentheses in an ionic compound's formula?

Parentheses are used in ionic compound formulas when there is more than one polyatomic ion present, or when the anion has multiple elements. Parentheses help to indicate which elements are grouped together and help to clarify the overall compound's structure.