Writing LateX in Physics Forum: Tips & Tricks

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of LaTeX in the physics forum and the editor that the speaker finds helpful for writing equations. They also ask for tips to make LaTeX easier, to which the other speaker provides a link and some advice. They also mention the difference between the "itex" and "tex" tags and the use of the Daum Equation editor on Chrome.
tsuwal
I am new at the forums and still getting used to writing in Latex. I found that it is easier for me to write my LateX in this editor:

http://www.codecogs.com/latex/eqneditor.php

and then copy to the physics forum.

So, I wanted to ask you guys, do you know any other tricks you want to share to make LateX seem easier? For example if i want to say 3 little things in LateX do I need to write
(itex) 1(/itex) bla bla (itex) 2(/itex) bla bla (itex) 3(/itex)
or is there a shortcut to "stop the lateX"?

Physics news on Phys.org
Thank you for showing me that. I've talked myself out of asking certain questions because of the extremely tedious latex that went along with it.

Thanks for posting! I have tried using LaTex in some of my posts and ended up not posting because I just couldn't get it the way I wanted it.

Thanks again.

Start with this:
https://www.physicsforums.com/misc/howtolatex.pdf

After getting used to it, [itex] \LaTeX [/itex] comes pretty naturally and isn't tedius at all. As a matter of fact, it's much easier and quicker than writing equation using the superscript and subscript buttons (i.e. X2 and X2).

Note that you don't need to repeatedly keep putting the (itex) (/itex) tags for every symbol. One set of tags will do for the whole thing.

(tex) \oint_s \vec E \cdot d \vec A = \frac{Q_{enc}}{\epsilon_0} (/tex)
[tex] \oint_s \vec E \cdot d \vec A = \frac{Q_{enc}}{\epsilon_0} [/tex]

Oh, and another thing. The "itex" tag is for inline LaTeX, such as [itex] \oint_s \vec E \cdot d \vec A = \frac{Q_{enc}}{\epsilon_0} [/itex], where the LaTeX is displayed as part of the paragraph, and some symbols get re-sized to be smaller. The "tex" tag puts the equations on their own lines, as used above.

Last edited:
collinsmark said:

Thanks! That will be useful!

Oh, and another thing. The "itex" tag is for inline LaTeX, such as [itex] \oint_s \vec E \cdot d \vec A = \frac{Q_{enc}}{\epsilon_0} [/itex], where the LaTeX is displayed as part of the paragraph, and some symbols get re-sized to be smaller. The "tex" tag puts the equations on their own lines, as used above.

I didn't knew the (tex) command just the (itex), I think (tex) is better!

I just use Daum Equation editor on Chrome.

1. What is LateX and why is it useful for writing in physics forums?

LateX is a typesetting language that is commonly used in the field of physics for writing and formatting equations, symbols, and scientific notation. It is useful for physics forums because it allows for precise and professional-looking mathematical expressions and equations.

2. How do I get started with using LateX in physics forums?

The first step is to familiarize yourself with LateX syntax and commands. There are many online resources and tutorials available to help you learn. Once you are comfortable with the basics, you can begin practicing by writing equations and expressions in a LateX editor or compiler.

3. How can I include images or diagrams in my LateX writing for physics forums?

LateX has the ability to include images and diagrams in your writing. You can use the \includegraphics command to insert an image file, and the \usepackage{graphicx} package to format and resize the image. You can also use the TikZ package to create diagrams directly in LateX.

4. Are there any tips for writing efficient and readable LateX code for physics forums?

One tip is to break up your code into smaller, manageable chunks. This can make it easier to troubleshoot and modify later on. It is also important to use proper indentation and spacing to improve readability. Additionally, you can use comments to explain complex equations or remind yourself of the purpose of certain commands.

5. How can I ensure that my LateX code will display correctly in physics forums?

Before posting your LateX code in a physics forum, it is important to compile it and check for any errors or formatting issues. You can use online compilers or install a LateX editor on your computer. It is also important to use the correct syntax and commands for the specific forum platform you are using.