Problems with LATEX while posting a question

• LaTeX
  • Thread starter JD_PM
  • Start date
In summary, LaTeX rendering does not seem to be happening in preview of new threads in at least Relativity, High Energy, and (for me) also Advanced Physics Homework. It seems to work in preview of replies.
JD_PM
Hi

I want to post a question in the High Energy Physics Forum but I do not know why LATEX is not working for me.

I copy-pasted the text to the Advanced Physics Forum Homework Help and there it works.

I also tried with the Relativity and QP Foum and there doesn't work either.

Is there any reason why this happens?

Thank you,

Physics news on Phys.org
The LaTeX interpretation is done independently of the subforum. Can you link to specific posts?

I can confirm that LaTeX rendering doesn't seem to be happening in preview of new threads in at least Relativity, High Energy, and (for me) also Advanced Physics Homework. It seems to work in preview of replies.

In all three forums I clicked Post thread, filled in minimal nonsense for a title (and problem description etc where appropriate) and ##x^A## as the post text. I clicked Preview and got the raw LaTeX code and tags - it didn't render. The same happened when I tried with itex tags. I didn't try actually posting my nonsense! Rendering seems to work in preview of replies to existing threads. Using Firefox on Android.

Likes JD_PM
mfb said:
The LaTeX interpretation is done independently of the subforum. Can you link to specific posts?

I did not post it yet because LaTeX rendering was not working when pressing the preview button. I'll try to post it and see if it works.

It works! :). However, as Ibix said, LaTeX rendering does not work in the preview option

Captura de pantalla (1050).png

Because ##\LaTeX## is being rendered in previews and posts in e.g this thread, I suspect that the latexhelp page non-rendering that I am seeing may be in a server-side cached copy (I purged my browser cache for that page to make sure that it wasn't local to me) that was produced during a temporary MathJax server problem that has now been resolved, so that refreshing the server cache for that page may correct the page.

Greg Bernhardt said:
fixed
Cool. That was quick. Thank you Sir.

Likes dlgoff and Greg Bernhardt
What's happening is I'm manually selecting which templates load MathJax instead of blanket loading. This is to help with performance on pages where MathJax is not expected.

Likes sysprog
Ibix said:
I can confirm that LaTeX rendering doesn't seem to be happening in preview of new threads in at least Relativity, High Energy, and (for me) also Advanced Physics Homework. It seems to work in preview of replies.

In all three forums I clicked Post thread, filled in minimal nonsense for a title (and problem description etc where appropriate) and ##x^A## as the post text. I clicked Preview and got the raw LaTeX code and tags - it didn't render. The same happened when I tried with itex tags. I didn't try actually posting my nonsense! Rendering seems to work in preview of replies to existing threads. Using Firefox on Android.
I can reproduce that problem, but I also have that in the advanced physics homework section.

I had a similar problem just now posting this. Latrx did not render in the preview. But when I posted it it (a very short version with apologies) Latex rendered. Then I edited it and put in the full question and preview did work!?* Very confusing. Similar to what happened to Stephen Tashi. Please give us full preview back!

Posting here to test whether MathJax is dead, or down, or whatever else the problem is. $$x = \frac {-b \pm \sqrt{b^2 -4ac}} {2a},$$

$$\begin{array}{l}\left( c-A^{T} \lambda \right) \ \geqslant 0\\-A^{T} \lambda \ \geqslant -c\\A^{T} \lambda \ \leqslant c\end{array}$$

I am trying to start a new thread in Physics >> Quantum Physics and the preview of my post simply refuses to render LaTeX. It is obviously rendering just fine this thread , as you can see above.

Any pointers on how to proceed?

Test it on this thread.
Post new thread in Quantum Physics with a "****testing****" caution.
If it works, edit out the caution. If it is a mess try and fix it!

Yesterday evening and right now I tried to post a thread in the differential geometry forum. The same problem occured. The delimiters are not enabled in the preview, so the formulas do not appear in the final form. I hesitate to post a thread without the possibility of preview, since some more sophisticated commands (array etc.) are included and there is a high chance that I made some misspellings.

Fixing this bug would be much appreciated, thank you in advance.

Local or universal rendering problem?
In posts, A ∑ and others from the Symbols button display correctly,
but some instances (in-line LATEX?) have their descenders chopped by the line that follows.

This was several days ago and I didn't note it. Will repost with details if spotted again. :cry:

Found one!
https://www.physicsforums.com/posts/6364709
First line of text has "y" (##y##) with a missing descender.
Delta2 said:
##r## is to ##\theta## what ##x## is to ##y## in a cartesian coordinate system. They are independent coordinates. They can be related only if you try to describe a curve, for example the curve of a spiral ##r=a\theta##

New thread latex preview should be fixed, sorry for the long wait. Be sure to clear your browser caches.

Likes JD_PM, etotheipi, berkeman and 1 other person

1. Why is my math equation or symbol not displaying correctly in my question?

This is most likely due to a formatting issue with your use of LaTeX code. Make sure to use the correct syntax and check for any missing curly brackets or backslashes. You can also use online LaTeX editors to verify your code before posting.

2. My question looks fine when I preview it, but the math symbols disappear after I post it. Why is this happening?

This may be due to the fact that your browser does not support MathJax, which is the platform used by Stack Exchange to render LaTeX code. You can try clearing your browser's cache or using a different browser.

3. I am getting an error message when trying to use LaTeX in my question. What does it mean?

There are a few different error messages that may appear when using LaTeX. The most common ones are related to syntax errors or unsupported commands. Check your code and make sure it follows the correct syntax and that all commands are supported by Stack Exchange.

4. Is there a limit to the amount of LaTeX I can use in my question?

Yes, there is a limit of 5000 characters for LaTeX code in a single question or answer. If you are exceeding this limit, consider breaking up your content into multiple questions or using external links for larger equations or diagrams.

5. Can I use custom LaTeX packages in my question or answer?

No, Stack Exchange does not support the use of custom LaTeX packages. However, they do have a comprehensive list of supported commands and symbols that you can use in your questions and answers.