Wrong signs for Lorentz velocity problem

It does not affect the magnitude of the velocity.In summary, a neutral K meson at rest decays into two pi mesons, with one traveling in the positive x direction with a velocity of 0.828c and the other traveling in the negative x direction with the same magnitude of velocity. When the K meson is instead moving in the positive x direction with a velocity of 0.486c, the velocities of the two pi mesons are still in opposite directions, with one having a positive velocity and the other having a negative velocity. The negative sign only indicates the direction of motion and does not affect the magnitude of the velocity.
leehufford

Homework Statement

A neutral K meson at rest decays into two pi mesons, which travel in opposite directions along the x-axis with speeds of 0.828c. If instead the K meson were moving in the positive x direction with a velocity 0.486c, what would be the velocities of the two pi mesons?

Homework Equations

v'x = (vx - u)/(1-vxu/c2)

The Attempt at a Solution

I reasoned that one meson velocity can be found be plugging directly into the above formula with vx = 0.828c, and u = 0.486c. As for the other meson, I reason that the velocity vx will be the negative of the vx from the first meson, while u is unchanged because the K meson is moving the same direction relative to me for both mesons.

I am getting the negative of the correct answer. Is it equivalent (I am standing on "opposite sides of the situation") or did I make a sign error/ false assumption? Thanks a ton in advance,

Lee

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Its OK. Anyway the two mesons are moving in opposite directions and so if you take one meson's velocity to be positive, the other one's would be negative. And even if it wasn't the case, that negative sign is only about the direction of the motion.

1. What is the Lorentz velocity problem?

The Lorentz velocity problem is a thought experiment in which two observers, moving at different velocities, measure the speed of a particle traveling between them. According to the theory of relativity, the observers will measure different speeds for the particle.

2. Why are wrong signs used in the Lorentz velocity problem?

The wrong signs refer to the negative sign used in the equations for time dilation and length contraction in the Lorentz transformation. These signs are used to account for the relative motion between the observers and the particle, and are necessary for the equations to accurately describe the effects of relativity.

3. What are the consequences of using wrong signs in the Lorentz velocity problem?

Using the wrong signs in the Lorentz velocity problem can lead to incorrect calculations and interpretations of the results. It can also result in paradoxes, such as the Twin Paradox, where two twins can age at different rates due to their relative speeds.

4. Can the wrong signs in the Lorentz velocity problem be avoided?

No, the use of wrong signs is necessary in the Lorentz transformation to accurately describe the relative motion between observers and particles. However, they can be confusing and counterintuitive, leading to common misconceptions about the theory of relativity.

5. How does the Lorentz velocity problem relate to the theory of relativity?

The Lorentz velocity problem is a thought experiment that demonstrates the principles of the theory of relativity, such as time dilation and length contraction. It challenges our traditional understanding of space and time and shows that they are not absolute, but instead depend on the observer's frame of reference.