Wronskian Equation for y1 and y2 with Initial Conditions

In summary, to find the Wronskian of the two solutions y1 and y2, we can use Abel's Theorem, which relates the Wronskian to the coefficients of the differential equation and the values of the solutions at t=0. This can be a more efficient method than directly calculating the determinant using the equations of y1 and y2.
Temp0

Homework Statement

W(t) = W(y1, y2) find the Wronskian.

Equation for both y1 and y2: 81y'' + 90y' - 11y = 0

y1(0) = 1
y1'(0) = 0
Calculated y1: (1/12)e^(-11/9 t) + (11/12)e^(1/9 t)

y2(0) = 0
y2'(0) = 1
Calculated y2: (-3/4)e^(-11/9 t) + (3/4)e^(1/9 t)

Homework Equations

W(y1, y2) = |y1 y2 |
| y1' y2' |

The Attempt at a Solution

After calculating y1 and y2, I don't seem to be able to do this determinant calculation. Mostly because it just doesn't look right, plugging in those giant equations and taking the derivative of them. Am I missing something here? Thanks for any help in advance.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Temp0 said:

Homework Statement

W(t) = W(y1, y2) find the Wronskian.
y1(0) = 1
y1'(0) = 0
Calculated y1: (1/12)e^(-11/9 t) + (11/12)e^(1/9 t)

y2(0) = 0
y2'(0) = 1
Calculated y2: (-3/4)e^(-11/9 t) + (3/4)e^(1/9 t)

Homework Equations

W(y1, y2) = |y1 y2 |
| y1' y2' |

The Attempt at a Solution

After calculating y1 and y2, I don't seem to be able to do this determinant calculation. Mostly because it just doesn't look right, plugging in those giant equations and taking the derivative of them. Am I missing something here? Thanks for any help in advance.

Well, you didn't show us where these solutions came from so we can't check whether they are correct. But I suspect the idea isn't to calculate it directly like that. Does your text talk about Abel's theorem? There is a special equation that the Wronskian satisfies that relates ##W(0)## and the coefficients of your DE.

Sorry, I have it now, and I have heard a little about Abel's Theorum, I'll try to find more information on it, thanks.

Edit: I got it after abit of research on Abel's Theorum, thanks so much.

Last edited:

What is the Wronskian Equation?

The Wronskian Equation, also known as the Wronskian determinant, is a mathematical tool used to determine the linear independence of a set of functions. It is represented by a determinant and is commonly used in differential equations and linear algebra.

Why is the Wronskian Equation important?

The Wronskian Equation is important because it helps us determine whether or not a set of functions is linearly independent. This is especially useful in differential equations, where linear independence is necessary for finding a particular solution.

How do you calculate the Wronskian?

To calculate the Wronskian, you first need to write out the set of functions in a matrix form. Then, take the derivative of each function and place them in the same matrix. Finally, calculate the determinant of the resulting matrix.

What does a nonzero Wronskian mean?

A nonzero Wronskian means that the set of functions is linearly independent. This means that no function in the set can be represented as a linear combination of the other functions.

Can the Wronskian be used for more than two functions?

Yes, the Wronskian can be used for any number of functions. The general formula for calculating the Wronskian for n functions is:

W = | f1 f2 ... fn | | f1' f2' ... fn' | | ... ... ... ... | | f1^(n-1) f2^(n-1) ... fn^(n-1) |

Where f1, f2, ..., fn are the n functions and f1', f2', ..., fn' are their respective derivatives.