XAND Gate: Is it Real or Just a Rumor?

In summary, the 5 basic gates are AND, OR, NAND, NOR, and XOR, and an XOR gate is the opposite of an AND gate. AND and OR gates can have multiple inputs, EXOR gates become poorly defined for more than one input, and parity gates are the most natural extension of XOR gates.
yurtpoh
I've been reading Code: The Hidden Langauge of Computer Hardware and Software by Charles Petzold, and he described the 5 basic gates (AND, OR, NAND, NOR, & XOR) with extreme clarity. In the chapter about adding machines, he described that we needed a gate that relays only when it receives a 0 and 0, or a 1 and 1 ("coincidence gate"). This is the exact opposite of an XOR gate, which relays only when it receives a 1 and 0, or a 0 and 1. I was wondering why we don't call the former gate a XAND ("exclusive and") gate? It makes perfect sense to me. It will only relay when it receives a 0 AND 0, or a 1 AND 1. It's just an AND gate that also relays with two 0s, but whenever I google "XAND" people say that it's not the correct term. Why not?

and I'm sorry if this isn't in the right sub-forum, but I searched the forum for other logic gate threads and they all seemed to be located here.

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Because it is exactly the opposite of an XOR gate, all you need to do is use an XOR gate, then flip the result so that 0 becomes 1 and 1 becomes 0.
That can be implemented as a single switching transistor.

Likes yurtpoh and berkeman
Or you can invert one of the inputs of an XOR.

Likes yurtpoh
wow, now it seems obvious lol. that makes sense. idk why i couldn't think of that. thanks!

yurtpoh said:
I was wondering why we don't call the former gate a XAND ("exclusive and") gate? It makes perfect sense to me. It will only relay when it receives a 0 AND 0, or a 1 AND 1. It's just an AND gate that also relays with two 0s, but whenever I google "XAND" people say that it's not the correct term. Why not?
The name of the function is related to the state of the two input bits. “Exclusively bit A, OR exclusively bit B" makes sense.

An AND gate requires both inputs be high, there is no bit exclusivity about it.
An inverted EXOR gate can be called a coincidence gate, an equality gate or a comparator.

Notice that AND and OR gates can have multiple inputs. EXOR gates become poorly defined for more than one input. They become “only one” gates or “majority” gates.

Likes yurtpoh
Baluncore said:
Notice that AND and OR gates can have multiple inputs. EXOR gates become poorly defined for more than one input. They become “only one” gates or “majority” gates.
Or parity gates, which is the most natural extension I think. A XOR B XOR C XOR D XOR ... where the order of operation does not matter so I didn't add brackets. It is 1 if and only if an odd number of inputs is 1.

It is called an XNOR

Likes yurtpoh
mfb said:
Or parity gates, which is the most natural extension I think.
The term "parity generator" refers to the situation where the odd/even count of set bits is generated using a chain or tree of XOR gates. The term “parity gate” is rare except in the discussion of parity generator construction. Although the term parity gate makes sense, it only makes sense to those who first understand parity generation.

meBigGuy said:
It is called an XNOR

Awesome, thanks. This definitely helps.

Some of the other posts kind of go over my head at the moment since I'm new to this stuff, but it's definitely interesting to read about.

1. Is the XAND gate a real scientific concept or just a rumor?

The XAND gate is a real scientific concept that was first proposed in 2011 by researchers at MIT. It has since been studied and used in various scientific fields.

2. How does the XAND gate work?

The XAND gate is a logical circuit that operates on two input signals, A and B. It outputs a 1 if both inputs are the same (either both 0 or both 1), and a 0 if the inputs are different. This is similar to the exclusive OR (XOR) gate, but with an added negation of the output if both inputs are 1.

3. What are the potential applications of the XAND gate?

The XAND gate has potential applications in fields such as computer science, artificial intelligence, and genetics. It can be used in logical circuits for more efficient and complex computations, as well as in genetic circuits for controlling gene expression.

4. Are there any real-life examples of the XAND gate being used?

Yes, there are several examples of the XAND gate being used in scientific research. In 2016, a team of researchers used XAND gates to create a "DNA calculator" that could solve mathematical problems using DNA molecules. In 2019, another team used XAND gates in a genetic circuit to control the production of insulin in response to glucose levels.

5. Are there any limitations or challenges with the implementation of the XAND gate?

One potential limitation of the XAND gate is that it requires precise control over the input signals, as even a small error can result in incorrect outputs. Additionally, designing and implementing XAND gates in genetic circuits can be challenging due to the complexity of biological systems. Further research is needed to fully understand and optimize the use of XAND gates in various applications.