XRD Result Analysis on Polymer

In summary, this material has no obvious peak and has a broad peak which usually associated with amorphous material. The peak becomes broader and broader as filler is added, indicating that the filler is scattering the x-rays.
SPEOTW
TL;DR Summary
Confusion about amorphous and crystalline region on XRD result
So i just have my XRD result (Polymer Specimen) which i use to determine crystallinity of my material, and it turns out that my material has no obvious peak, and have a broad peak which usually associated with amorphous material. I added some filler to my material and it became more and more broad but the peak stays there. does it mean my material become "more amorphous" or what does it mean
1690031515625.png

Engineering news on Phys.org
What do the different coloured traces represent?
What was the filler you added to the polymer?

I agree, it does look like an amorphous material.
What was the isomer and catalyst?
Does it progressively crystallise over time?

Hii thanks for answering my question , my material was Chitosan + PEO + LiClO4 and i added Al2O3 in it, the black one represent 0% filler, red one is 3%, blue is 5%, and green is 7%.

So the trend i saw here is the peak became broader and broader, what does it correlates to the crystallinity of my material.

A quick evaluation in an image processing program indicates that the peaks are indentical in width but their amplitude above their baselines decreases as filler is added.

This would indicate that the filler is scattering the x-rays, thereby raising the baseline.

Measuring in "Intensity" units, starting with the Green trace at the top:
"Peak" heights above their local baseline;

Cheers,
Tom

Likes hutchphd, Lord Jestocost and Baluncore
What is the source of the broad peak at 2θ = 20.92° ?

It appears that the traces are stacked on the intensity axis, with loss of the baseline references. That makes it difficult to separate out the effects of the polymer and the filler, which I suspect is part of what we are seeing.

To analyse this further, I would need to see the intensity plot baseline for the sample support without a sample, and the plot with 100% filler alone, without polymer.

Likes hutchphd and Tom.G

1. What is XRD analysis and how does it work?

XRD, or X-ray diffraction, is a technique used to analyze the structure and composition of materials. It works by directing a beam of X-rays at a sample, causing the X-rays to diffract and produce a diffraction pattern. This pattern can then be used to determine the crystal structure and molecular arrangement of the material.

2. Why is XRD analysis important for studying polymers?

XRD analysis is important for studying polymers because it can provide information about the crystallinity, orientation, and phase composition of the polymer. This information is crucial for understanding the physical and mechanical properties of the polymer, as well as its behavior in different environments.

3. What are the key parameters to consider when analyzing XRD results for polymers?

The key parameters to consider when analyzing XRD results for polymers include peak position, peak intensity, peak width, and peak shape. These parameters can provide information about the crystallinity, orientation, and phase composition of the polymer.

4. How do I interpret XRD results for polymers?

Interpreting XRD results for polymers involves comparing the diffraction pattern to known patterns for different polymers and identifying characteristic peaks. The peak positions, intensities, and widths can also be used to determine the degree of crystallinity and orientation of the polymer.

5. What are some common challenges when analyzing XRD results for polymers?

Some common challenges when analyzing XRD results for polymers include sample preparation, background noise, and peak overlap. It is important to carefully prepare the sample to ensure accurate results, and to properly account for background noise and overlapping peaks to avoid misinterpretation of the data.