XT10i and a Orion Skyview pro 120mm refractor

• Stargazing
  • Thread starter MotoH
  • Start date
  • Tags
    orion
In summary, the conversation discusses the advantages and disadvantages of two different telescopes, an XT10i and an Orion Skyview pro 120mm refractor, both at the same price. The speaker is looking for a balance between light gathering power and portability/ease of use. They also mention the importance of finding a telescope that is enjoyable to use and suits their individual needs and circumstances. Additionally, there is a recommendation to learn star-hopping and the use of different eyepieces for optimal viewing.
MotoH
is it ok if questions can be asked in this thread also?

If so I have a couple.

I am looking at an XT10i, and a Orion Skyview pro 120mm refractor. They are both essentially the same price.

I want the light gathering power of the 10inch dob, but I like the portability and the ease of use of the 120mm.

I am at odds with myself here!

Astronomy news on Phys.org

I'm a big fan of portability. Half the aperature used 4x as much is better than a giant you dread to confront. I like cat's, but that is a personal choice. If you live in the sticks with dark skies and plenty of space, size matters. Erect a comfortable shed, stick a light bucket in there and break out the sky charts. If you do not have this luxury, you will probably be happier with a more portable scope with bells and whistles. The best scope you can buy is one you look forward to using. Turbo offers sound advice that need only be tempered to fit your interests, budget and circumstances.

MotoH said:
is it ok if questions can be asked in this thread also?

If so I have a couple.

I am looking at an XT10i, and a Orion Skyview pro 120mm refractor. They are both essentially the same price.

I want the light gathering power of the 10inch dob, but I like the portability and the ease of use of the 120mm.

I am at odds with myself here!
At your present skill-level, I'd recommend the 10" Dob as long as you don't have transportation issues. From a dark location, you'll be able to see LOTS of faint objects. Combined with a zero-power finder and a decent set of charts, you can get years of enjoyment from that 'scope as you learn to star-hop from object to object. Many galaxies are low-contrast - so much so that you have to use averted vision to even sweep them up. For this reason, you'll be well-served to learn to star-hop, and be aware of what field of view your various EPs can provide. You'll be surprised how many times you're looking at a relatively blank field, thinking you screwed up your pointing, then sweep up that elusive galaxy out of the corner of your eye. Once you have the galaxy centered, you can pop in a Barlow or a shorter f: EP for alternate views. Some faint extended objects can benefit from a bit of extra magnification, once you have located them.

The quote I recall, Turbo, was 'I was born with nothing and still have most of it left' :)

I would say that both the XT10i and the Orion Skyview pro 120mm refractor have their own strengths and limitations. The XT10i, with its 10-inch aperture, will definitely have better light-gathering power and therefore will be able to show you fainter and more distant objects in the sky. However, it is also a larger and heavier instrument, making it less portable and potentially more difficult to set up.

On the other hand, the 120mm refractor may not have the same light-gathering power as the XT10i, but it is more compact and easier to transport. It also has the advantage of being a refracting telescope, which can provide sharper and more detailed images compared to a reflecting telescope like the XT10i.

Ultimately, the best telescope for you will depend on your personal preferences and the types of objects you want to observe. If you prioritize portability and ease of use, then the 120mm refractor may be the better choice. However, if you are willing to sacrifice some convenience for better light-gathering power, then the XT10i may be the way to go.

As for asking questions in this thread, I am happy to answer any additional questions you may have about these telescopes or astronomy in general. I am always excited to share my knowledge and help others learn more about the wonders of the universe.

What is the difference between the XT10i and the Orion Skyview pro 120mm refractor?

The XT10i is a 10-inch Dobsonian telescope, while the Orion Skyview pro 120mm refractor is a 4.7-inch refracting telescope. The main difference between the two is the type of telescope and the aperture size, which affects the light-gathering ability and magnification capabilities.

Which telescope is better for deep sky observation?

The XT10i has a larger aperture, making it better suited for deep sky observation. It has a greater light-gathering ability, which allows for better views of faint and distant objects in the night sky compared to the Orion Skyview pro 120mm refractor.

What is the price difference between the XT10i and the Orion Skyview pro 120mm refractor?

The XT10i is a more expensive telescope compared to the Orion Skyview pro 120mm refractor. The price difference is due to the larger aperture and overall capabilities of the XT10i.

Can both telescopes be used for astrophotography?

Yes, both the XT10i and the Orion Skyview pro 120mm refractor can be used for astrophotography. However, the XT10i may require additional accessories and modifications to achieve high-quality images, while the Orion Skyview pro 120mm refractor is better suited for beginner astrophotographers.

Which telescope is more suitable for beginners?

The Orion Skyview pro 120mm refractor is more suitable for beginners due to its smaller size and simpler design. It is also easier to set up and use compared to the XT10i, which is larger and more complex. Additionally, the lower price point of the Orion Skyview pro 120mm refractor makes it a more affordable option for those new to astronomy.