Year 11 Calculus Homework mainly focusing on Quotient Rule

In summary, this student is struggling to understand how to differentiate a function. He is attempting to do so but is having problems with simplifying the derivative. He needs to focus on the quotient rule and practice applying it to specific expressions.
Erin.
Hello. I am studying differential calculus and I need help on what these questions are asking and how to solve them. I have attempted some of the question but I need clarification. This week is mainly focused on learning the Quotient Rule. Please help me

1. (a) Differentiate y = (x - A)/(x - B)
(b) Show that for A>B, all tangents have a positive gradient, and for A<B all tangent have a negative gradient
(c) What happens when A = B
My attempt:
(a) y' = (x-b)(1) - (x-A)(1) / (x - B)^2
y' = (2x - AB) / (x - B)^2

2. Evaluate f'(1) when
(a) f(x) = (√x) + (√2) / (√x) - (√2)
(b) f(x) = (2x-3)(√x + 1)/ x
My attempt:
(a) f'(x) = (√x-√2)(1/2√x)-(√x+√2)(1/2√x)/(√x -√2)^2
= 1/2 - √2/2√x - 1/2 + √2/2√x
= (-√2/√x)/ (√x-√2)^2
f'(1) = (-√1) / (√1-√2)^2
(-√1) = (√1-√2)^2
I'm not sure what to do from here

u = (2x-3)(√x + 1)
v = x

f'(x) =
I don't know how to find the derivate to u. If I did I would only be able to get up to what I did in question 2. (a)

With Q1 (b) and (c) am I supposed to equate the equation to A or B, like in quadratic equations? Or is that what I am supposed to do in Question 2. I am confused by what these questions are asking. Sorry if I haven't shown as much working out as I should have.

Thank you for reading

Physics news on Phys.org
Erin. said:
Hello. I am studying differential calculus and I need help on what these questions are asking and how to solve them. I have attempted some of the question but I need clarification. This week is mainly focused on learning the Quotient Rule. Please help me

1. (a) Differentiate y = (x - A)/(x - B)
(b) Show that for A>B, all tangents have a positive gradient, and for A<B all tangent have a negative gradient
(c) What happens when A = B
My attempt:
(a) y' = (x-b)(1) - (x-A)(1) / (x - B)^2
y' = (2x - AB) / (x - B)^2

2. Evaluate f'(1) when
(a) f(x) = (√x) + (√2) / (√x) - (√2)
My attempt:
(a) f'(x) = (√x-√2)(1/2√x)-(√x+√2)(1/2√x)/(√x -√2)^2
= 1/2 - √2/2√x - 1/2 + √2/2√x
= (-√2/√x)/ (√x-√2)^2
f'(1) = (-√1) / (√1-√2)^2
(-√1) = (√1-√2)^2
I'm not sure what to do from here

u = (2x-3)(√x + 1)
v = x

f'(x) =
I don't know how to find the derivate to u. If I did I would only be able to get up to what I did in question 2. (a)

With Q1 (b) and (c) am I supposed to equate the equation to A or B, like in quadratic equations? Or is that what I am supposed to do in Question 2. I am confused by what these questions are asking. Sorry if I haven't shown as much working out as I should have. Thank you for reading

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Why don't you just concentrate on 1(a) for a bit. Your simplification of the derivative is badly wrong. It's bad algebra. I don't even understand what you are doing. Then go on to the rest.

Think of exactly what the quotient rule states. How would you then apply it to the expression y = (x-a)/(x-b) ?

Those square roots are wrong. Practice with the sum and product rules until you know them very well, then come back to the quotient rule. I say this because once you apply the quotient rule, you'll have sums and products to simplify.

Related to Year 11 Calculus Homework mainly focusing on Quotient Rule

What is the Quotient Rule in calculus?

The Quotient Rule is a formula used in calculus to find the derivative of a quotient of two functions. It states that the derivative of f(x)/g(x) is equal to (g(x)f'(x) - f(x)g'(x)) / (g(x))^2.

How do I use the Quotient Rule to solve problems?

To use the Quotient Rule, first identify the two functions in the quotient. Then, apply the formula by taking the derivative of each function and plugging them into the formula. Simplify the equation to get the final answer.

What are some common mistakes when using the Quotient Rule?

Some common mistakes when using the Quotient Rule include forgetting to square the denominator, mixing up the order of the functions, and not simplifying the final answer. It is important to double check your work and make sure all steps are followed correctly.

Can the Quotient Rule be used for any type of function?

The Quotient Rule can be used for any type of function, as long as the functions are differentiable. This means that the functions must have a well-defined derivative at every point in the interval of interest.

How can I check my answer when using the Quotient Rule?

You can check your answer by taking the derivative of the quotient using the Quotient Rule and comparing it to the original function. If they are equal, then your answer is correct. You can also use a graphing calculator to plot both the original function and its derivative and see if they match up.