Yet another static equilibrium problem.

In summary, the wheel will be in static equilibrium at the point of contact between the wheel and the slope.
akan
The figure shows a wheel on a slope with inclination angle 16 degrees, where the coefficient of friction is adequate to prevent the wheel from slipping; however, it might still roll. The wheel is a uniform disk of mass 1.35 kg, and it is weighted at one point on the rim with an additional 0.960 kg mass. Find the angle PHI shown in the figure such that the wheel will be in static equilibrium.

http://img181.imageshack.us/img181/9085/rw1261xj2.jpg
http://g.imageshack.us/img181/rw1261xj2.jpg/1/

I understand this:
m sin(phi) R = M sin(theta) R

However, this does not give me the right answer. So how do I solve this?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi akan! :smile:

Hint: you don't want the wheel to turn

so take moments about a suitable point (to find the torques of the forces), and put that equal to zero. :smile:

What would be a suitable pivot point here? Thanks.

moments of forces

akan said:
What would be a suitable pivot point here? Thanks.

oh come on! :rolleyes:

I can only see two possible pivot points …

choose one of them, and see if it works! :smile:

Sorry, I suck with pivot points. If I put it at the center, then gravity is acting parallel to the level arm, so that ain't going to work. If I put it at the circumference, then the whole thing is just going to be weird. So where do I place it?

akan said:
Sorry, I suck with pivot points. If I put it at the center, then gravity is acting parallel to the level arm, so that ain't going to work. If I put it at the circumference, then the whole thing is just going to be weird. So where do I place it?

Place it at the point of contact (between the wheel and the slope).

There, the torque of the reaction and friction forces will be zero (that's why you're choosing it :wink:), so you just have m and M to balance … like a see-saw! :smile:

1. What is a "static equilibrium problem"?

A static equilibrium problem is a type of physics problem that involves finding the state of an object or system when all forces acting on it are balanced, resulting in no net force or movement.

2. How is a "static equilibrium problem" different from other physics problems?

Unlike other physics problems that involve motion and changing forces, a static equilibrium problem focuses on the state of an object or system when all forces are balanced and there is no movement.

3. What are the common types of "static equilibrium problems"?

Common types of static equilibrium problems include problems involving objects on inclined planes, problems involving objects suspended by strings or ropes, and problems involving objects supported by multiple forces.

4. How do you solve a "static equilibrium problem"?

To solve a static equilibrium problem, you must first identify all the forces acting on the object or system and their direction. Then, use the principles of static equilibrium, such as the sum of forces and the sum of torques, to find the unknown quantities, such as the tension or the angle of inclination.

5. What are some real-life applications of "static equilibrium problems"?

Static equilibrium problems have many real-life applications in engineering and architecture. They are used to design stable structures, such as bridges and buildings, by analyzing the forces acting on them and ensuring that they are in equilibrium to prevent collapse.