You think you know how to ride a bike?

• Thread starter Borek
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Bike
In summary, the conversation discussed a video about a bike with a modified front fork that allowed for easy switching between riding styles. However, it was mentioned that the gyroscopic action of the wheel may not actually help with balance and that the modification may have made the bike less stable. It was also mentioned that welders may be smarter than engineers and that architects often draw designs that are difficult to build.
Borek
Mentor
Fantastic :smile:

Likes Greg Bernhardt and lisab
Physics news on Phys.org
Yeah, I saw this earlier. It's really great. He got one thing wrong though when he mentioned the gyroscopic action of the bicycle wheel spin helping you to maintain your balance. This has been shown to be false or insignificant in the least.

http://www2.eng.cam.ac.uk/~hemh/gyrobike.htm

I only watched a little bit of the video. Was something done to that bike to make it less stable?

I bet his son could switch back and forth fairly easily.

This begs for the question whether you can learn riding both simultaneously. In the sense that you could (almost) instantaneously switch between the systems.

Big piece of wisdom btw, welders being smarter than engineers.
I remarkably often hear from friends in construction about architects drawing beautiful houses but impossible to build (without ugly hacks).

berkeman said:
I only watched a little bit of the video. Was something done to that bike to make it less stable?

Yes, they put a simple gearing system on the front fork so that turning right made it turn the wheel left and vice versa. It was a pretty clever adjustment. I think everything was the same as a normal bike.

I've seen other bike mods where they've changed the front fork angle of attack in various ways to introduce an instability.

berkeman said:
Was something done to that bike to make it less stable?

Scroll to 0:42.

That guy at 1:46 apparently has an altered bike too.

1. How do I know if I am ready to ride a bike?

The best way to know if you are ready to ride a bike is by practicing and gaining confidence. Start by practicing in a safe, open space with no obstacles. Once you can balance and pedal comfortably, you are ready to ride a bike.

2. What are the most important skills for riding a bike?

The most important skills for riding a bike include balancing, pedaling, steering, and braking. You should also be able to look over your shoulder while riding and have a basic understanding of traffic laws.

3. What should I wear when riding a bike?

It is important to wear a properly fitting helmet when riding a bike to protect your head. Other recommended attire includes closed-toe shoes, comfortable and breathable clothing, and bright colors for visibility.

4. How can I stay safe while riding a bike?

To stay safe while riding a bike, always follow traffic laws and signals, use hand signals to indicate your movements, and stay alert and aware of your surroundings. It is also important to wear appropriate safety gear and maintain your bike in good condition.

5. How can I improve my bike riding skills?

The best way to improve your bike riding skills is by practicing regularly and challenging yourself with different terrains and obstacles. You can also take a class or ride with more experienced riders to learn new techniques and tips.