Comparing Energy of Nuclear Bombs: TNT vs Matter/Anti-Matter

In summary: I'm trying to find the exact atomic weight, but it's around 238. So you would need about 238*10^30 U-235 atoms. In summary, you would need around 46.48 metric tons of U235 to create a one Gigaton of TNT nuclear explosion.
ziad1985
Most Days Nuclear weapons have a detonation energy of Megatons of TNT.
How much weight of Uranium/Plutonium We should be looking in Atomic bomb of a One Gigaton Of TNT ?

A Matter/Anti-matter bomb(It have to do with my nuclear physics class) of one Gigaton of tnt , would need about 46.488 Kg of combined Matter/Anti-matter to be used.

I'm trying to compare energy released..

Physics news on Phys.org
ziad1985 said:
Isn't that a bit like asking "Which is heavier, a ton of lead or a ton of feather?". The energy output of a GT explosion will be the same, no matter what the mechanism which produces the explosion. The difference is the mass of material before hand. You'd need a billion tons of TNT if it's chemical or ~23kg of antimatter.

You know from your calculations that you need about 46kg of mass to turn into energy, so find out what percentage of U235 turns into energy when it goes supercritical and then you can work out how much total U235 you'd need.

For instance, if it's 1%, then you'd need 100*23kg. If it's 0.5%, 200*23kg. Etc

Sorry I didn't meant it like that, I meant "I'm trying to compare energy released by the two procedures in general"

I'm having the problem in the supercritical thing.Can't i Just use the Induced deacy of The U235 by a neutron?
and find out how much enegry is released per reaction? and how much percentage of mass is converted?
And at this point see how much a one gigaton would need of U235 mass?

ziad1985 said:
would need about 46.488 Kg
Please don't say "about 46.488".

Meir Achuz said:
Please don't say "about 46.488".
what's the problem?

That is like saying the population of England is about 22,468,357 people.

Likes swampwiz
Interestingly, in parctical terms, it would require a huge amount of Uranium. The high figure is because Atomic bombs are not very efficient. In the first atomic bomb which had more than 50Kg of Uranium, only 0.7g was converted to energy. So a 50Kg Uranium bomb releases the same energy as a 3.5g anti-matter bomb. So one answer would be around 14,000 times as much Uranium as anti-matter. Course, that was not really the question you asked, but there you go...

Something is wrong, my calculation gave me a number around 1300.
from the mass lost during a fission of a one U nucleus, I got the percentage, and saw how much mass would I need to have that sort of energy..
14,000 would be a very big number, I understand from this, that the A-bomb design is poor, we have about magnitude of 10 difference in answer..

Last edited:
ziad1985 said:
Most Days Nuclear weapons have a detonation energy of Megatons of TNT.
How much weight of Uranium/Plutonium We should be looking in Atomic bomb of a One Gigaton Of TNT ?

A Matter/Anti-matter bomb(It have to do with my nuclear physics class) of one Gigaton of tnt , would need about 46.488 Kg of combined Matter/Anti-matter to be used.

You aren't going to do it with just Uranium/Plutonium. The maximum yield for a pure fission bomb is around 500kt.

For fusion bombs, the practical yield is 5.2t/mt, so you would need a 192 tonne bomb to produce a 1gt explosion.

Something is wrong, my calculation gave me a number around 1300.
from the mass lost during a fission of a one U nucleus, I got the percentage, and saw how much mass would I need to have that sort of energy..
14,000 would be a very big number, I understand from this, that the A-bomb design is poor, we have about magnitude of 10 difference in answer..

I remember that the efficiency of an atomic bomb is low. All we need is 10% for our answers to agree. Actually, that sounds too high to me. I think I remember a figure of 4% for the first atomic bomb.

By the way, the largest Plutonium bomb ever built was British with a yield of 750Kt

A bomb of such magnitude would have to be a multi-stage fusion bomb. I don't know what the proportional weight of plutonium is in such devices, the specifics might still be highly classified.

The largest bomb ever detonated was a Russian device called Tsar Bomba, it was 50 Mt, and most of its energy was due to fusion. It was originally designed to be 100 Mt, but the designers changed the last stage material to lead from U-238 to minimize fallout over their own territory. The bomb was delivered by an aircraft and weighed ~30 tons.

If you wanted to just calculate how much uranium you would need to release that much energy, you can calculate a rough estimate using 200 MeV released per fission. A Gt of TNT is about 4.2*10^18 J. So that would be 1.31*10^29 fissions. If you assume 10% bomb efficiency, you would need 1.31*10^30 U-235 atoms. One atom of U-235 weighs about 3.9*10^-25 kg, so that is something like 511,000 kg o U-235.

For perspective, the known world reserves of uranium are around 3 million metric tons. Of this, only 0.6% is U-235, or ~18,000,000 kg. So such a bomb would require a significant fraction of the entire world's uranium reserves to make. :)

1. How does the energy of a nuclear bomb compare to that of conventional explosives like TNT?

The energy released by a nuclear bomb is significantly greater than that of conventional explosives like TNT. A nuclear bomb releases energy through nuclear reactions, while conventional explosives release energy through chemical reactions. This means that a nuclear bomb can release millions of times more energy than an equivalent amount of TNT.

2. Is there a difference in energy released between a nuclear bomb using matter and one using anti-matter?

Yes, there is a difference in energy released between a nuclear bomb using matter and one using anti-matter. When matter and anti-matter come into contact, they annihilate each other, releasing a tremendous amount of energy. The exact amount of energy released depends on the amount of matter and anti-matter involved, but it is always greater than the energy released by a nuclear bomb using only matter.

3. How is the energy of a nuclear bomb measured?

The energy of a nuclear bomb is typically measured in terms of its explosive yield, which is the amount of energy released in the explosion. This can be measured in units such as kilotons (kt) or megatons (mt). For comparison, the atomic bomb dropped on Hiroshima during World War II had an explosive yield of approximately 15 kilotons of TNT.

4. Are there any potential risks associated with using anti-matter in nuclear bombs?

Yes, there are potential risks associated with using anti-matter in nuclear bombs. While anti-matter may provide a more efficient and powerful source of energy, it is also highly unstable and difficult to contain. If not properly controlled, the annihilation of matter and anti-matter could result in a catastrophic explosion. Additionally, the production and storage of anti-matter is currently extremely expensive and technically challenging.

5. Can nuclear bombs using anti-matter be used for peaceful purposes?

While nuclear bombs using anti-matter have the potential to release a tremendous amount of energy, they are not currently used for peaceful purposes. The technology and resources required to produce and control anti-matter are currently not available, making it impractical for any practical or beneficial applications. Additionally, the potential risks and dangers associated with anti-matter make it unlikely that it will be used in peaceful applications in the near future.