Palin pick an insult to our intelligence

• News
  • Thread starter physucsc11
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Intelligence
In summary: I guess you could say that I was surprised that the information released about her turned out to be such a non-issue to the American people. In summary, the VP pick of Sarah Palin has been largely successful in attracting women voters to the McCain campaign. However, the media's initial response was mostly in support of Mrs. Palin, and there was little questioning of her ability or experience.
fourier jr said:
So she's not quite the ordinary hockey mom she says she is.

Here's a YouTube clip of Palin getting that exorcism (@ ~1:30):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pNvemHKXZFs
(ps - how do I put a youtube clip directly into a post?)

Like this.

Physics news on Phys.org
What do I type though? I saw the YouTube button & hit it but I only got a blank white square instead of the actual video. What goes between the YouTube tags?

fourier jr said:
What do I type though? I saw the YouTube button & hit it but I only got a blank white square instead of the actual video. What goes between the YouTube tags?
From your link you would copy and paste this part - pNvemHKXZFs into the youtube tags.

fourier jr said:

Hit the quote button on my post and look at the code.

Palin can not name a single Supreme Court case besides Roe v. Wade (at least, not one that she or any other segment of the population might disagree with).

Link to video --> http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=4493093n
(same questions posed to Palin and Biden, feel free to compare)

Link to transcript --> http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2008/10/01/eveningnews/main4493062.shtml

Excerpt:
Couric: What other Supreme Court decisions do you disagree with?

Palin: Well, let's see. There's, of course in the great history of America there have been rulings, that's never going to be absolute consensus by every American. And there are those issues, again, like Roe v. Wade, where I believe are best held on a state level and addressed there. So you know, going through the history of America, there would be others but …

Couric: Can you think of any?

Palin: Well, I could think of … any again, that could be best dealt with on a more local level. Maybe I would take issue with. But, you know, as mayor, and then as governor and even as a vice president, if I'm so privileged to serve, wouldn't be in a position of changing those things but in supporting the law of the land as it reads today.

Youtube clip:

jBt0r9Exv2I[/youtube]

Last edited:
Gokul43201 said:
Palin can not name a single Supreme Court case besides Roe v. Wade (at least, not one that she or any other segment of the population might disagree with).

Link to video --> http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=4493093n
(same questions posed to Palin and Biden, feel free to compare)

Link to transcript --> http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2008/10/01/eveningnews/main4493062.shtml

Excerpt:
:smile:

Gokul43201 said:

CBSNews said:
I'm, in that sense, a federalist, where I believe that states should have more say in the laws of their lands and individual areas.

Sad that she doesn't know what a Federalist would be. I'd have to wonder what she actually thinks Federalism is.
I think her view is really more that of a confederationist not federalist.

Sadly I can't remember having seen any of her answers on any topic that wouldn't have been more suitable for anything other than the Q&A of a beauty contest.

A few weeks ago I had to grade assignments for Physics 100, a class about basic physics for non-physics majors (apparently this year, most of them are business majors). Occasionally one of them would clearly not know the answer to a question, and yet try to "fill it in" in the same way Palin is doing, e.g.:

Q. What is Newton's 3rd law?

A. Newton's 3rd law is one of the laws written by Newton when he was writing laws about physics. It is the third one he wrote, coming right after the 2nd law.

Ben Niehoff said:
A few weeks ago I had to grade assignments for Physics 100, a class about basic physics for non-physics majors (apparently this year, most of them are business majors). Occasionally one of them would clearly not know the answer to a question, and yet try to "fill it in" in the same way Palin is doing, e.g.:

Q. What is Newton's 3rd law?

A. Newton's 3rd law is one of the laws written by Newton when he was writing laws about physics. It is the third one he wrote, coming right after the 2nd law.
Give them a beehive hairdo and a "deer in the headlights" blank stare, oh, and they have to repeat the name of whoever asked the question so that there is no doubt they at least remember who they are talking to.

Does that repeating the interviewer's name thing she does irk anyone else? The way she does it is so unnatural, she comes off as a used car salesman.

Here's Palin's Greatest Hits from Keith Olberman:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22425001/vp/26982680#26982680
I haven't laughed so hard at a politician in a long time. She'd fill Bush's shoes very nicely! :smile:
(O'Reilly makes another Hitler comparison is also awesome, but has nothing to do with Palin)

I hate to jump on the bash Palin bandwagon, but this is pretty funny to anybody that's had to struggle through diagramming sentences in English class: Diagramming Palin

Actually, diagramming the sentences of any candidate in interviews would give you a decent clue about their poise under stress. It's not that easy.

BobG said:
I hate to jump on the bash Palin bandwagon, but this is pretty funny to anybody that's had to struggle through diagramming sentences in English class: Diagramming Palin

Actually, diagramming the sentences of any candidate in interviews would give you a decent clue about their poise under stress. It's not that easy.
That was great!

You have to wonder if a tv interview is so stressful that her brain ceases to function, what would she do if she were presented with an actual crisis? I would expect anyone running for Vice-President of the United States to be capable of handling an interview.

I don't know how tonight's debate will be formatted, but I'd like to see the questions phrased in a way that she will need to activate a few brain cells in order to pluck out the canned answers.

And, please, do not diagram my sentences. :redface:

BobG, that is fascinating! It seems Palin was 'miss' remembering snippets and (I got to give her handlers credit for trying) slogans - talking points - in the wrong order or permutating them in her head into what she thought was something with meaning/sense (but only to her.)

Hefner makes Palin a Centerfold offer.

http://www.shortnews.com/start.cfm?id=73737

Evo said:
That was great!

You have to wonder if a tv interview is so stressful that her brain ceases to function, what would she do if she were presented with an actual crisis? I would expect anyone running for Vice-President of the United States to be capable of handling an interview.

I don't know how tonight's debate will be formatted, but I'd like to see the questions phrased in a way that she will need to activate a few brain cells in order to pluck out the canned answers.

And, please, do not diagram my sentences. :redface:

I thought about trying to diagram one of Joe Biden's sentences, but I'm stumped. Is "yes" a noun or a verb?

Brian Williams: Senator Biden, words have, in the past, gotten you in trouble, words that were borrowed and words that some found hateful.

An editorial in the Los Angeles Times said, "In addition to his uncontrolled verbosity, Biden is a gaff machine."

Can you reassure voters in this country that you would have the discipline you would need on the world stage, Senator?

Biden: Yes.
Actually, Biden's pretty good at speaking in coherent sentences. He may not know when to quit speaking, but his sentences are usually short and well constructed.

Chuck, stand up! Let 'em see ya!

Last edited:
Evo said:

Article on the debates:
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/09/21/us/politics/21debate.html?ref=politics&pagewanted=all

McCain Campaign sought to limit the debate to short questions and answers with little opportunity to interchange between the candidates. They would prefer to focus on McCain's positions they say.

LowlyPion said:
Article on the debates:
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/09/21/us/politics/21debate.html?ref=politics&pagewanted=all

McCain Campaign sought to limit the debate to short questions and answers with little opportunity to interchange between the candidates. They would prefer to focus on McCain's positions they say.
That is preposterous. Basically the McCain camp is saying "Since we have chosen someone completely unqualified for VP, we need to limit the questions to something she can have a chance of understanding." Oh my god! Can anything be more embarrasing for McCain?

At the insistence of the McCain campaign, the Oct. 2 debate between the Republican nominee for vice president, Gov. Sarah Palin, and her Democratic rival, Senator Joseph R. Biden Jr., will have shorter question-and-answer segments than those for the presidential nominees, the advisers said. There will also be much less opportunity for free-wheeling, direct exchanges between the running mates.

McCain advisers said they had been concerned that a loose format could leave Ms. Palin, a relatively inexperienced debater, at a disadvantage and largely on the defensive.

Perhaps the correct thing to have done would have been to pick someone qualified?

I want Ifill to ask Palin how giving hundreds of billions of dollars to Wall Street will translate in "job creation" as she claimed in the Couric interview.

Evo said:
That is preposterous. Basically the McCain camp is saying "Since we have chosen someone completely unqualified for VP, we need to limit the questions to something she can have a chance of understanding." Oh my god! Can anything be more embarrasing for McCain?

Perhaps the correct thing to have done would have been to pick someone qualified?
The sad part is that we only know what has been agreed to. These guys are primarily lawyers, and you know they went to the debate committee looking for a lot more than they got. They probably wanted Ifill to ask leading questions that would require answers not much more complicated than "yes" or "no". Limiting exchanges between the candidates is actually good for Biden, lest he come off as patronizing in the eyes of Palin supporters. If they were to have some sort of back-and-forth, the comparison would not have been favorable to Palin, and McCain camp would be hollering about sexism and favoritism.

I want Ifill to ask her. Who is the President of Spain:smile::rolleyes::biggrin:; and what we can do to bring about rebuilding a coalition of nations to address the Taliban and Al-Quaida?

Last edited by a moderator:
Evo said:

While I don't disagree with you that she is unqualified, to say that, because she is an inexperienced debater, she is unqualified is a stretch.

Amp1 said:
BobG, that is fascinating! It seems Palin was 'miss' remembering snippets and (I got to give her handlers credit for trying) slogans - talking points - in the wrong order or permutating them in her head into what she thought was something with meaning/sense (but only to her.)

Long and complicated is okay. http://www.geocities.com/gene_moutoux/dialit6.htm

Nonsense and lies are okay. They still diagram perfectly well.

Obama can be tougher to diagram than Biden, but, mainly, his sentences just take longer to diagram. They're not an undecipherable mess.

Obama said:
If we're going to ask questions about, you know, who has been promulgating negative ads that are completely unrelated to the issues at hand, I think I win that contest pretty handily.

He obviously trashed that response, but it was still a coherent sentence that was easy to diagram (aside from that hanging "you know").

NeoDevin said:
While I don't disagree with you that she is unqualified, to say that, because she is an inexperienced debater, she is unqualified is a stretch.
I didn't say she was an inexperienced debator, that's the pitiful excuse put forward by the McCain camp.

It's not about debate skills, that's smoke and mirrors, she's been in plenty of debates. It's about having experience on a national level. She doesn't have it, and, in my eyes, that makes her unqualified for VP of the "nation".

lisab said:
This doesn't surprise me much, Greg. When I lived in Alaska I was astounded at the level of insulation of the people up there (no pun intended!). It'a a wonderful place, but it is NOT like the rest of the US.

After a couple of years up there, I came back to the lower 48 to find that the highway speed limit was no longer 55 mph (I hadn't heard!) and there were these fanciful things that sent documents over phone lines, called "faxes". And there were dozens of other little things like that.

Don't get me wrong, I loved living in Alaska. It's like no where else I've lived - the people are so great - I haven't met people so decent and open (and a bit odd), ever. But it is VERY insulated and separate from the rest of the world.

I spent a year up there. When you came back, did you find yourself expecting to know everyone you saw on the street?

It was kind of a disconcerting feeling being back around so many strangers. I look at strangers different from people I know and it kept creating a feeling of awkwardness when we made eye contact.

That SNL skit where Tina Fey (as Palin) kept seeing Osama Bin Laden reminded me of that. I could almost see Palin doing that.

Northern Maine is like that, too. You really have to mentally shift gears if you visit a city - up here everybody knows everybody, at least by sight or reputation. Years back a couple of teachers moved here from Alaska with their daughter, and they became family friends. They fit right in almost immediately. About the only thing that they didn't like about Maine was the brutal winters, though they eventually toughened up, and still live here. Apparently the weather in Alaska's south coastal zone is pretty temperate.

I see Palin and her cohorts may struggle to wriggle their way out of assisting the inquiry set up into the sacking of the man who refused to fire her brother-in-law.

Judge backs Palin investigation

An Alaskan judge has refused to block a probe into an alleged abuse of power by Governor Sarah Palin, the Republican candidate for vice-president.

Alaska's Legislative Council ordered a probe earlier this year into whether Mrs Palin acted properly when she fired the state's public safety commissioner.

A lawsuit filed by Republican lawmakers said the council had exceeded its authority when it ordered the probe.

But the judge said the investigation was within the council's power.

An independent investigator, Steve Branchflower, is due to present his findings on 10 October.

Mr Branchflower is examining claims that Mrs Palin pressured the commissioner to fire a state trooper who had been through a bitter divorce with her sister.

Mrs Palin denies the claims, and says commissioner Walt Monegan was ousted over budget disagreements.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/7649978.stm

Art said:
I see Palin and her cohorts may struggle to wriggle their way out of assisting the inquiry set up into the sacking of the man who refused to fire her brother-in-law.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/7649978.stm

Here's the story in the ADN:
AlaskaDailyNews said:
The Liberty Legal Institute said Thursday's ruling is a dangerous decision and declared that "Judge Michalski is the same judge who ruled in 1998 that same-sex marriage is a fundamental right, a decision subsequently overruled by a constitutional amendment approved by the voters of Alaska."
http://www.adn.com/troopergate/story/544566.html

Dangerous perhaps to Palin's agenda. But basically his ruling boils down to saying that if they have a problem with the process then their recourse is to deal with it within the context of the legislative branch. (And that as politicians of course they will be expected to deal in rhetoric one supposes.)
Judge Michalski wrote in his ruling that "the idea of fairness is an ambiguous and subjective concept."

"The court finds the conduct of Senator French, Senator Elton and investigator Branchflower do not rise to the level of a violation of any individuals' right to fairness. Fairness within a legislative context is different than fairness within a judicial context. It is expected that legislators will belong to some party and will support the positions of their party, often publicly," the judge wrote.

LowlyPion said:
Here's the story in the ADN:

http://www.adn.com/troopergate/story/544566.html

Dangerous perhaps to Palin's agenda. But basically his ruling boils down to saying that if they have a problem with the process then their recourse is to deal with it within the context of the legislative branch. (And that as politicians of course they will be expected to deal in rhetoric one supposes.)
I liked the bit where it said she may be impeached. By golly!

Art said:
I liked the bit where it said she may be impeached. By golly!

Here's a link to the ruling.

http://media.adn.com/smedia/2008/10/03/09/ORDER_on_Motion_to_Dismiss_and_Temporary_and_Preliminary_Injunction.10-02.2008.source.prod_affiliate.7.pdf

Basically it's a separation of powers issue, and the fulcrum upon which these lawyers from Texas were arguing was based on the fact that the wrong Committee had been assigned to the investigation.

The Judge basically told those hired gun cowpokes (bought and paid for by the McCain campaign no doubt), to get along little doggies, because if the legislature misassigned it, then they can gosh darn straighten it out themselves by golly.

AlaskaDailyNews said:
The Liberty Legal Institute said Thursday's ruling is a dangerous decision and declared that "Judge Michalski is the same judge who ruled in 1998 that same-sex marriage is a fundamental right, a decision subsequently overruled by a constitutional amendment approved by the voters of Alaska."

What I liked about this argument was that these lawyers that got spanked where trying to paint this Judge guy as incompetent by saying that a ruling he made was overruled - but not in the courts I would note. By Constitutional amendment to the Alaska Constitution.

Will they now seek to have this ruling overruled by Amendment to the constitution as well? Call it the Save Sarah Amendment?

LowlyPion said:
What I liked about this argument was that these lawyers that got spanked where trying to paint this Judge guy as incompetent by saying that a ruling he made was overruled - but not in the courts I would note. By Constitutional amendment to the Alaska Constitution.

Will they now seek to have this ruling overruled by Amendment to the constitution as well? Call it the Save Sarah Amendment?
I noted that too. The judge ruled correctly as the law then stood. If he hadn't they wouldn't have needed a constitutional amendment to overturn his ruling. If that's the level of their arguing skills one can see why they lost in court.

Palins release Tax Returns

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5gp77q25DPCEibEdOBHWiKkz5EVWQD93JDD702
AP said:
Regarding the per diem dispute, Comella said Juneau is the governor's home base and therefore whenever she works elsewhere, she is entitled to charge the state. Comella contended the per diem payments are not taxable.

I believe this would be an incorrect interpretation of the IRS statutes. Any excess over actual expenses out of pocket I believe should be treated as income.

And I could have had a 100 on every test I ever took if I could go look up the answers after the test papers were collected and got to change my answers. EGADS. She was being flippant? Sure she was. That's so Presidential. Or was it that VERBIAGE thing again?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aIWns9ieUv4

The New York Times ?
The Wall Street Journal ?
The Economist ?

What a bizarre list for such a shallow thinker.

Supreme Court:
Kennedy v. Louisiana ? Oh sure. Every beauty contestant worries about states rights being able to execute any darn person they want. Gosh darn I'm sure she has been seething about that one for months. (June 2008)

Or Kelo v. City of New London about eminent domain property rights that has given her nightmares for years. Why how dare that uppity Katy Couric for even suggesting she wasn't on top of court decisions. (June 2005)
(Interesting that BOTH were decided by the current justices.)

LowlyPion said:
And I could have had a 100 on every test I ever took if I could go look up the answers after the test papers were collected and got to change my answers. EGADS. She was being flippant? Sure she was. That's so Presidential. Or was it that VERBIAGE thing again?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aIWns9ieUv4

The New York Times ?
The Wall Street Journal ?
The Economist ?

What a bizarre list for such a shallow thinker.

Supreme Court:
Kennedy v. Louisiana ? Oh sure. Every beauty contestant worries about states rights being able to execute any darn person they want. Gosh darn I'm sure she has been seething about that one for months. (June 2008)

Or Kelo v. City of New London about eminent domain property rights that has given her nightmares for years. Why how dare that uppity Katy Couric for even suggesting she wasn't on top of court decisions. (June 2005)
(Interesting that BOTH were decided by the current justices.)

Ugh! [pulls eyes out of head with fork] I couldn't even stand to watch or listen to the whole thing.

It is like listening to Bush or Cheney.

Ivan Seeking said:
Ugh! [pulls eyes out of head with fork] I couldn't even stand to watch or listen to the whole thing.

It is like listening to Bush or Cheney.

There is no doubt that she has no substance. She has no integrity either and this is a strange thing for the tops of the ticket to be embracing while campaigning on the rubbish notion that they would somehow represent change in Government. She and McCain get painted with the same brush insofar as being satisfied to misrepresent themselves as they further their personal ambition.

And Fox has without a doubt become merely a propaganda arm of 24/7 political rhetoric and softball journalism to promote the Far Right Agenda. I think there needs to be a toughening of the FCC guidelines as to equal time. And maybe the FEC as well. Clearly Fox has pushed the envelope to becoming an undeclared campaign contributor/supporter to the McCain Campaign with the obsequious treatment of all things McCain/Palin.