Proof of continuous. f(x+y)=f(x)+f(y)

In summary, Proof that a function is continuous at every point can be difficult. However, by using basic concepts of limits and continuity, it is possible to prove that a function is continuous at every point.
Unassuming
Let f be a real-valued function on R satisfying f(x+y)=f(x)+f(y) for all x,y in R.

If f is continuous at some p in R, prove that f is continuous at every point of R.

Proof: Suppose f(x) is continuous at p in R. Let p in R and e>0. Since f(x) is continuous at p we can say that for all e>0, there exists a d>0 such that if 0<|x-p|<d implies that |f(x)-f(p)|< e/2.

I know that |f(x)-f(y)| = |f(x)-f(p)+f(p)-f(y)| <= |f(x)-f(p)|+|f(y)-f(p)|.

I also know that |x-y|=|(x-y+p)-p| <= |x-p|+|y-p|.

Help: I am confused on how to show that f is cont. at every point in R. I appreciate any help little or big! Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
Unassuming said:
I also know that |x-y|=|(x-y+p)-p| <= |x-p|+|y-p|.

So if |x - y| < d, then |(x - y + p) + p| < d. Then...

Now use the fact that f(x + y) = f(x) + f(y).

Let f be a real-valued function on R satisfying f(x+y)=f(x)+f(y) for all x,y in R.

If f is continuous at some p in R, prove that f is continuous at every point of R.

Proof: Suppose f(x) is continuous at p in R. Since f(x) is continuous at p we can say that for all e>0, there exists a d>0 such that if 0<|x-p|<d implies that |f(x)-f(p)|< e.

Let y be a real number and fix 0<|x-y|<d.
Then |(x-y+p)-p|<d
So |f(x-y+p)-f(p)|<e.
or in other words, |f(x-y)+f(p)-f(p)|<e.
or, |f(x)-f(y)|<e.

I have a concern that I used f(x-y)=f(x)-f(y). Does this work because f(-y)= -f(y) ?

I also changed my e/2 into just e.
I also included a "let" before the manipulating.

Does this look better? I appreciate the help mutton.

Last edited:
You don't need to go back to the basic definition of limit. A function, f, is continuous at x= a if and only if:
f(a) is defined
[itex]\lim_{x\rightarrow a} f(x)[/itex] is defined
[itex]\lim_{x\rightarrow a} f(x)= f(a)[/itex]

Suppose f is continuous at x= a. Then [itex]\lim_{x\rightarrow a} f(x)= f(a)[/itex]

Let h= x- a. Then x= a+ h and as x goes to a, h goes to 0:
[itex]\lim_{x\rightarrow a} f(x)=\lim_{h\rightarrow 0} f(a+ h)= \lim{h\rightarrow 0}f(a)+ f(h)[/itex]

What does that tell you about f at x= 0?
(It is important to recognize that if f(x+ y)= f(x)+ f(y), then f(x)= f(x+ 0)= f(x)+ f(0) so f(0)= 0.)

Now let b be any other value and go the opposite way.

Unassuming said:
I have a concern that I used f(x-y)=f(x)-f(y). Does this work because f(-y)= -f(y) ?

It works because f(x) = f(x - y + y) = f(x - y) + f(y).

But what you say is also true because f(-y) = f(0 - y) = f(0) - f(y) = -f(y), as HallsofIvy showed that f(0) = 0.

HallsofIvy said:
You don't need to go back to the basic definition of limit. A function, f, is continuous at x= a if and only if:
f(a) is defined
[itex]\lim_{x\rightarrow a} f(x)[/itex] is defined
[itex]\lim_{x\rightarrow a} f(x)= f(a)[/itex]

Suppose f is continuous at x= a. Then [itex]\lim_{x\rightarrow a} f(x)= f(a)[/itex]

Let h= x- a. Then x= a+ h and as x goes to a, h goes to 0:
[itex]\lim_{x\rightarrow a} f(x)=\lim_{h\rightarrow 0} f(a+ h)= \lim{h\rightarrow 0}f(a)+ f(h)[/itex]

What does that tell you about f at x= 0?
(It is important to recognize that if f(x+ y)= f(x)+ f(y), then f(x)= f(x+ 0)= f(x)+ f(0) so f(0)= 0.)

Now let b be any other value and go the opposite way.

I was just wondering what you meant by "let b be any other value and go the opposite way."
do you mean let h=x+b?
Thanks.

Actually, h= x- b. If b is any real number, then then [itex]\lim_{x\to b} f(x)= \lim_{h\to 0}f(b+ x)[/itex][itex]= \lim_{h\to 0}f(b)[/itex][itex]+ \lim_{h\to 0}f(h)[/itex][itex]= f(b)+ \lim_{h\to 0}f(h)= f(b)[/itex].

Thanks!

What is the exact difference between the h = x-a and h =x-b step? What is the point of doing both steps?

What does the equation \(f(x+y) = f(x) + f(y)\) represent?

The equation \(f(x+y) = f(x) + f(y)\) is known as the Cauchy Functional Equation. It is a functional equation that describes a special class of functions. This equation states that the value of a function \(f\) at the sum of two variables, \(x+y\), is equal to the sum of the values of \(f\) at each variable, \(f(x)\) and \(f(y)\). Understanding the continuity of such a function is of mathematical interest.

How can you prove the continuity of \(f(x+y) = f(x) + f(y)\)?

To prove the continuity of the function \(f\) satisfying \(f(x+y) = f(x) + f(y)\), you can use the following steps:

1. Show that \(f(0) = 0\): Prove that \(f(0) = 0\) by setting \(x = y = 0\) in the functional equation, which gives \(f(0) = f(0) + f(0)\), and solving for \(f(0)\).
  2. Prove that \(f\) is continuous at a single point: Choose an arbitrary point \(a\) and show that \(f(x)\) is continuous at \(x = a\) by taking the limit as \(x\) approaches \(a\) and proving that \(\lim_{{x \to a}} f(x) = f(a)\).
  3. Use the functional equation to prove continuity everywhere: Utilize the functional equation \(f(x+y) = f(x) + f(y)\) to extend the continuity to all real numbers. You can do this by setting \(y\) to a fixed value and considering \(f(x+y)\) as a function of \(x\), which you've already shown is continuous. Repeat this process for various values of \(y\) to cover the entire real number line.

By showing that \(f\) is continuous at \(x = 0\) and using the properties of the functional equation, you can extend the continuity to all real numbers, proving that \(f(x)\) is a continuous function.

Why is the continuity of \(f(x+y) = f(x) + f(y)\) important?

The continuity of functions is crucial in mathematics because it helps establish the behavior and properties of those functions. Proving the continuity of a function like \(f(x+y) = f(x) + f(y)\) allows us to make mathematical statements and predictions about how the function behaves over its entire domain. Continuous functions have several important properties and applications in various fields of mathematics, including calculus, analysis, and differential equations.